Word 97=2003 files import to Windows 10

Reaction score
I have a lot of files saved as word 97-2003 docs on my old computer, When put on flash drive and opened in windows 10 they appear as ?PDF files which will not open with reader 11 or D C. If I transfer them to another computer running W7 and resave as word file they. will open when transferred to windows 10. I have office 2007 installed on the new computer with windows 10. Any way to get the old files on to W10, why are they being changed to a PDF file?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Go here
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Default Programs
In the left column scroll down as needed to find "Word (desktop)", yours maybe different as I have office 2013 installed, but it is going to be something like that, maybe WinWord, maybe Microsoft Word, but something like that.
Click it to highlight it in the left column and then
just to the right click the blue words that say
"Set this program as default"
That should resolve your problems.
If not post back and we'll look a little harder.

Reaction score
Thank you.
I have tried your solution but the list of programs shown in the set default program column for some reason does not include the Office 2007 [or photoshop/Ability also added]. They are listed in the "all apps"

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If you are not seeing something very similar to this

defaultProg.JPG

Then you will likely need to repair or reinstall the Microsoft Office Suite that contains your version of WinWord.exe

Ask a Question