Wrong password? Locked out my own computer

Reaction score
Hello,
usually I'm a ghost user, meaning that I only watch without even registering on forums, what made me change this was a huge problem on Windows 10 that is keeping me out of my daily routine.

I would like to apologize in advance for any english mistakes that you may see, I'm being forced to use my smartphone which keep changing words that I write for similar words in my native language.
That being said, I will first tell my problem story, putting in bold how the actual problem started, then I'll make a list of what I did to try to fix it (it may help someone else, as well as it may help me).

THE PROBLEM​
I had the original Windows 7, never had trouble fixing what rarely went wrong on my OS, I was happy with Win7 but I decided to give Win10 a shot, I then saved my files on a external SD, formated my PC with the Win7 disc and installed Win10 with the download from Microsoft website.
I was lucky as hell, since for what I think was a coincidence, both my external SD and my DVD reader stopped working as soon as everything was in place on my recently installed Win10, all my files, games, images... I even updated with Windows Update.
I went on vacation, and when I was back, one month later, I decided to upgrade Win10 again since I like to have everything up to date. Even if this is not what caused the problem, this is what lead me to changing what I should not... As I said, I decided to upgrade Win10 to what I THINK was build 1511 (I may be wrong, but it is what I remember seeing on Windows Update), it failed, and after a few times trying to fix Windows Update, I did what I regret (actual problem starts now):
I read some threads on the official Microsoft forums that people (lots of them) with the same Windows Update problem as me had managed to fix it by linking their Microsoft account with their Windows 10, so I did the same, just to find out it would not fix my problem... I gave up on Windows Update after a few more tries on other methods.
Some days later, after turning on and off, logging in and out of Win as usual, I tried to log in with my Microsoft account as always, and it said the password was wrong, after a few tries with different passwords I tried to log in on my Microsoft account trough my smartphone, it worked as it should, but my Win10 still don't let me in telling me that I typed the wrong password.

WHAT I TRIED​
  1. Using screen keyboard
  2. Trying old passwords
  3. Changing my Microsoft's password
  4. Using ASCII to type the password
  5. Trying different passwords with AND without capital letters, numbers and symbols
  6. Basically tried every KIND of password I could have user
  7. Changing my Microsoft's password (again, 7 times actually)
  8. Turning off computer power cable
  9. Turning off and on and off and on and off internet cable
  10. Changing password language
  11. Tried clicking on "This is not me" and/or "Login with other account"... Except I do not have this options, so I couldn't try it.
  12. Literally everything that I could fins online in literally 18 hours of despair and research
Notes:
- I can't use my disc reader to format, as I told you before
- The only USB storage I had to use to format is also gone
- There is some really important files on that PC that I can't let go
- Basically, I can only use my smartphone, my PC BIOS or anything that I already told here.

TOO LONG. DIDN'T READ? Help me, I'm in a ducking despair.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
No information that I see, regarding the actual system we are talking about here, so....
Some system specs might help..... starting with, how old is the system and is there any reason to suspect hardware failure on the scale that you have described?
I'm not sure what an external SD is unless you are talking about an SD card connected to the computer. IF so.... how is it connected? An integrated card reader or an external card reader.
The fact that your optical drive also apparently is not working also leaves me wondering..... how is it connected to the computer? Is it integrated or externally connected via USB or other external means.

To secure your data that you need that is still on the drive in the computer, you're going to need to copy it off to an external resource.
In order to do that, you have two options....
1. Remove the drive and attach it to a second, functioning system
OR
2. Boot to bootable media and copy it off to an external resource.
http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/
OR
https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=205
OR
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench

All three of which support booting from an optical drive or a USB ThumbDrive, but you will need to actually have one or the other functioning in order to go forward.
DOES.....
Your system BIOS show the Optical Drive as being present (maybe a better question might be is your system UEFI or Legacy BIOS?
Can you adjust the boot order to choose the optical drive as the 1st boot device or can you select it from the Boot Menu?
IF your system is Legacy BIOS do you have USB legacy support enabled.
IF your system is UEFI you may have to turn off "Secure Boot" in some instances, depending on how the boot media was prepared and or its' support for UEFI.

Reaction score
No information that I see, regarding the actual system we are talking about here, so....
Some system specs might help..... starting with, how old is the system and is there any reason to suspect hardware failure on the scale that you have described?
I'm not sure what an external SD is unless you are talking about an SD card connected to the computer. IF so.... how is it connected? An integrated card reader or an external card reader.
The fact that your optical drive also apparently is not working also leaves me wondering..... how is it connected to the computer? Is it integrated or externally connected via USB or other external means.

To secure your data that you need that is still on the drive in the computer, you're going to need to copy it off to an external resource.
In order to do that, you have two options....
1. Remove the drive and attach it to a second, functioning system
OR
2. Boot to bootable media and copy it off to an external resource.
http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/
OR
https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=205
OR
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench

All three of which support booting from an optical drive or a USB ThumbDrive, but you will need to actually have one or the other functioning in order to go forward.
DOES.....
Your system BIOS show the Optical Drive as being present (maybe a better question might be is your system UEFI or Legacy BIOS?
Can you adjust the boot order to choose the optical drive as the 1st boot device or can you select it from the Boot Menu?
IF your system is Legacy BIOS do you have USB legacy support enabled.
IF your system is UEFI you may have to turn off "Secure Boot" in some instances, depending on how the boot media was prepared and or its' support for UEFI.

Sorry about that, I had only 13% of battery, and could not put my phone to charge at that moment, so I think I forgot about some details...
External SD = External storage, I told you my phone was changing words hehe
I'll put my specs at the end of this post, but my problem has changed... I managed to create a new admin profile using cmd (net user commands...) and I am logged in on it right now, now I just need a way to retrieve my other profile, but I'm clueless on how to do it, since I never had to manage windows profiles.
About my optical drive: Forgot to mention that I have a desktop computer, so when I found out that my optical driver was not working, I just removed it, so, it WAS integrated.

Also:
ADM FX 6100 - 3.30GHz
Windows 10 Home (Version 1511 as I suspected) x64
4GB RAM (had 8, but this is for another thread haha)
1TB HD

Sorry if I'm forgotting about something.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I managed to create a new admin profile using cmd (net user commands...) and I am logged in on it right now, now I just need a way to retrieve my other profile, but I'm clueless on how to do it, since I never had to manage windows profiles.
It's basically the same process that's been around for quite some time (at least since XP anyway).
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/fix-corrupted-user-profile#1TC=windows-7
Those instructions are for Windows 7 but they are relevant for Windows 10.
You'll need a third admin user to perform the task as you cannot be logged in as the user you are copying from nor the user you are copying to.
Other than that, just avoid anything starting with the letters Nt.
Your primary concern would be those folders containing your critical data (docs, music, videos, pictures, favorites, etc., etc.)
Hopefully nothing contain therein will be anything responsible for the original profile corruption.

Ask a Question