www.outlook.com Sign-in

Reaction score
I have a legacy Hotmail account and an Office 365 subscription provided by my employer, both of which use different login websites.

However, it appears that www.outlook.com, www.live.com, www.hotmail.com all show the same thing. What's the deal? Has everything been merged so that there is only one Microsoft e-mail site now - meaning that my hotmail and office 365 e-mail are basically the same thing, but with different usernames and features.

I'm so confused with the naming conventions and way they organise things. Why does Microsoft keep changing the name of things, but keep them similar enough to be confusing? I read the article on here about the Outlook applications, but there is more confusion with the e-mail services that Microsoft provide.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Has everything been merged so that there is only one Microsoft e-mail site now - meaning that my hotmail and office 365 e-mail are basically the same thing, but with different usernames and features.
Yes and No.

The biggest difference is the domain names.....in your case you have 2. 1 for your personal use and 1 for your work. The business/work email domain/address is a whole different realm. Meaning that those accounts use a different set or rules and security which is used/managed by the IT department.

Why does Microsoft keep changing the name of things, but keep them similar enough to be confusing?
The main reason is basically the same as for windows 10.....a one stop shop for everything. Everything under one roof.

Reaction score
I have a legacy Hotmail account and an Office 365 subscription provided by my employer, both of which use different login websites.

However, it appears that www.outlook.com, www.live.com, www.hotmail.com all show the same thing. What's the deal? Has everything been merged so that there is only one Microsoft e-mail site now - meaning that my hotmail and office 365 e-mail are basically the same thing, but with different usernames and features.

I'm so confused with the naming conventions and way they organised things. Why does Microsoft keep changing the name of things, but keep them similar enough to be confusing? I read the article on here about the Outlook applications, but there is more confusion with the e-mail services that Microsoft provide.

All MS did was changed the name for Hotmail.com to Outlook.com and it associates it with your Microsoft account. I believe the email address of (e-mail address removed) still works so it's transparent to the user. But you have to go to outlook.com to see the email. What MS is doing is using your MS account to do all the MS things like Skype, Email, Onedrive and the Store. This all started with Windows 8.

They enterprise is completely different because you are not using a personal MS account.

Reaction score
frwiw. Microsoft closed Hotmail about two or three years ago. All Hotmail subscribers were automatically transferred to outlook- It is just a name change, you are automatically redirected. I don't think there is a time limit, but, for clarity, it might not be bad idea to get your contacts used to addressing you in outlook, rather than Hotmail.

Reaction score
Office 365 does not use outlook.com, it uses something like outlook.office365.com

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Office 365 does not use outlook.com, it uses something like outlook.office365.com
I am generally confused. My version of Office "Outlook" contained in my installation of Office 365 (2016) uses what I tell it to use.
I have three accounts configured as POP / SMTP and one configured as Exchange ActiveSync

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
account types.jpg
None of those are office 365 accounts. Have a look at mine - I have 2 Office 365 and one Outlook account. See the difference?

Alan

Reaction score
I am generally confused. My version of Office "Outlook" contained in my installation of Office 365 (2016) uses what I tell it to use.
I have three accounts configured as POP / SMTP and one configured as Exchange ActiveSync

View attachment 3600

Outlook is an email client which allows you to connect to an email server POP3, IMAP or exchange. Outlook.com is an email site with an email server. It's just like gmail.com except owned by Google. I don't use Office 365 as I use Office 2013 and 2016 Professional and I use outlook as my email client to connect to my POP3 email account for Bright House networks and Road Runner ISP. Being a POP3 Account I configure the mail server and the SMTP server (out going email).

Last edited:

Ask a Question