"Your PC did not restart correctly"

Reaction score
My laptop will not start correctly, but shut down, restart and system restore are not fixing the problem. I think the only options I haven't tried are reset PC and going back to previous build. I don't know which one I should try, or if I should take my pc to someone with better computer skills?

Reaction score
Try reset PC first. I have used it and you do have to reinstall some stuff but it's less effort than going back to a previous build.

Reaction score
Thanks, I will try that first. It's "attempting repairs" at the moment, so I'll have to wait until it loops back to the blue "Your PC did not restart correctly" screen. I also tried "Disable Early Launch Anti-Malware Protection", but that didn't work either. I read about that and a couple other solutions on other threads about the automatic repair restart loop, but most of the computer jargon I don't understand. I'm just hoping I can save my files. I was trying to get everything backed up, but was having difficulties with it when my computer went into this infinite loop.

Reaction score
The same thing happened to me last week after the update.
MS answer was perform a restore or remove any recently added hardware. I couldn't Restore and no new hardware had been installed. Typical MS answers! MS seem good at telling what they think you should do, not what caused the problem in the first place. But you can call MS technical and pay for for further technical assistance. LOL
I restored from a recent image and enabled "Restore" again!

Reaction score
I have tried to restore from all four of the restore points that it shows, but none of them worked. I get a pop up window that says: "System Restore did not complete successful. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed."
"Details: system restore failed to extract the file (D:\Windows\Fonts\msyh.ttc) from the restore point.
An unspecified error occurred during System Restore. (0x80070017)"
I'm not familiar with image recovery. When I go to System Image Recovery it tells me "Windows cannot find a system image on this computer ".

Reaction score
I can get to Startup Menu if I can hit the escape buton fast enough during restart. Press esc for startup flashes at the bottom of the screen for about half a second when starting. Is there a way to backup data from here?
2016-08-14 15.47.50.jpg

Should I try system diagnostics? This is where f2 takes me:
2016-08-14 16.03.34.jpg

Reaction score
Windows 10 has a native (Win 7) Back up and Restore program. Go to control panel " Back up and Restore" The program will let you create a system image, repair disk or back ups. It's safer to create system images on an external USB HD. rather than on your C: drive. If your PC crashes you have no access to your backups. Sytem Images can be be large 30-50GB+
Backups of your important personal data can be created on CD/DVD's or an external HD.
Windows "Backup and Restore" is a good program but has limited options. I prefer to use Acronis for creating system images. There are many free programs available for imaging and backups. Macrium Reflect and Aomei Backupper... Aomei Backupper is a good all round free backup program, and easy to use. Aomei will also allow you to clone disks, partition manager, create system images backup files and images,incremental/differential and create repair disks .

Reaction score
How do I get to the control panel? Can I get there from the startup menu? I have a 64gb SD card, will that work for backup? Sorry, I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to computer stuff.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Left click on start select control panel "Backup" and Restore" Will 64GB do? Open File Explorer > right click on C: drive > select "Properties" it will show you the used and free space on your HD.

Reaction score
Left click on start select control panel "Backup" and Restore" Will 64GB do? Open File Explorer > right click on C: drive > select "Properties" it will show you the used and free space on your HD.

Your talking about after the computer has started correctly though, right?

Reaction score
You don't give any details on what computer you are using. Try booting into safe start. mode holding down the shift key and selecting restart to see if you can repair your start up problems. If you haven't recently created a backup or a system image or a restore point a system "Reset" is really the only option you have you can choose to keep what files to keep.
You can also follow this tutorial if you are unsure. I'm assuming you are running Win10?

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-boot-into-safe-mode-in-windows-10

When you have successfully restarted your PC and it's working OK, create a "Restore Point" and a "System Image" which is a snapshot of your HD at the time you create it. A system image can save you a lot of grief.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You don't give any details on what computer you are using. Try booting into safe start. mode holding down the shift key and selecting restart to see if you can repair your start up problems. If you haven't recently created a backup or a system image or a restore point a system "Reset" is really the only option you have you can choose to keep what files to keep.
You can also follow this tutorial if you are unsure. I'm assuming you are running Win10?

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-boot-into-safe-mode-in-windows-10

When you have successfully restarted your PC and it's working OK, create a "Restore Point" and a "System Image" which is a snapshot of your HD at the time you create it. A system image can save you a lot of grief.

My computer is a hp pavilion laptop, and I had upgraded to windows 10 a while ago. I had been putting off the latest update, but I think it somehow did the update anyway.
2016-08-15 09.11.33.jpg

Ask a Question