Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart

Reaction score
I have a refurbished Dell Latitude that I recently purchased. When I bought the computer, I installed the free upgrade to Windows 10. I never really used the computer before upgrading the OS, but after the upgrade, the computer has been crashing multiple times a day, giving me the error "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart". I've tried making a bunch of changes that were recommended online, but nothing seems to have worked. I downloaded SiSofware Sandra. Is there a report that I can run that would help to diagnose the issue?

I'm lost at this point, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Here are two of the specific errors that were given when the computer crashed:
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

My computer has an Intel Core i5-2520M CPU, 8GB of RAM and an Intel HD Graphics 3000 graphics card

Thank you!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I never really used the computer before upgrading the OS
It might have been better if you had.
It could take a very long time attempting to diagnose your current Blue Screen issues, thinking all along that it is a problem with the Windows 10 upgrade, when it might be a problem with the system (physically) itself.
Do you have a factory recovery partition available that will allow you to return it to its' factory state when you purchased it?
You may want to backup any critical personal data before doing so.

Then run it for a week or so, doing whatever you are currently normally doing and see if it Blue Screens.
Normally I love refurb'd machines because all the kinks have been worked out, but in some instances they're not.

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Do you have a factory recovery partition available that will allow you to return it to its' factory state when you purchased it?

Thanks for the advice! I do have a recovery partition, but I'm leaving that as the absolute last resort. The crashing is very annoying, but it hasn't driven me to the point where I feel like resetting my PC...YET :). I've seen some videos of people making simple setting changes, or updating drivers to fix the issue, but none of the examples I've found have worked for me.

Thanks again, for your response!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I've seen some videos of people making simple setting changes, or updating drivers to fix the issue, but none of the examples I've found have worked for me.
Yes and as I pointed out in my post above.....
If the problem is actually with the physical machine and not with your Operating System installation, then a lot of the normal troubleshooting steps will not likely work.
I can certainly understand the reticence, I wouldn't want to reset everything either, but......
As I recall, in a lot of instances, the warranty on a refurb is limited and if the problem is something physical with the board, or processor or memory, it might be better to find out now, before it's too late.

Reaction score
Yes and as I pointed out in my post above.....
As I recall, in a lot of instances, the warranty on a refurb is limited and if the problem is something physical with the board, or processor or memory, it might be better to find out now, before it's too late.

That's a great point! This is my first refurbished PC, and I completely forgot that there may actually be a warranty. I'll have to look into that and see if I'm still be within a window in which it makes sense to do a reset. At least that would be good motivation to just get it done.

Thanks!

Reaction score
This post is pretty old, so I don't expect any responses, but here it goes. Back in November, my computer was already past warranty, so I put the issue on the back-burner. I recently performed a fresh-install of Windows 7, but I'm still getting the same error. Seemingly for no reason, the computer will crash and give the error "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer". Followed by "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION".

So it looks like the problem really is with the computer's internals, but I have no idea where to even begin trouble shooting this. I'm happy doing the leg work, but if anyone has any tips on what to look for, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Two things I'd check right off the bat are the hard drive and the ram. You can download and install CrystalDiskInfo. If that test comes up ok, then I'd run memtest, http://www.wikihow.com/Test-PC-Ram-with-MemTest86 . If you get errors, then you need to repeat with a single stick of ram, until you find the bad stick.

Thanks! I downloaded both over the weekend. I ran MemTest86 and had no errors, and I plan to run CrystalDiskInfo sometime this week.

Ask a Question