Youtube seldom works

Reaction score
I have tried using youtube in Win 10 64 bit, with numerous browsers, since installation of Win 10 six months ago, but only have had very sketchy success. My default browser is Chrome.

Could anyone please help?

Thank You.

Reaction score
Youtube works in admin but not in user mode, so it defeats a modicum of security to have to switch to admin all the time.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
When you say it doesn't work, are you referring to the youtube.com website? Also, what actually happens - does video playback give you an error, or is it something else?

Reaction score
When its not working properly, which is most of the time, I get the message "if playback doesn't start shortly try restarting your device".
At other times all I get is part of the prologue advert video, with no sound, then it freezes. My sound is working OK with my dvd drive. Youtube works properly only very spasmodically.

Thanks for your help.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I had a search for more information on this, and found that audio drivers are often to blame for this problem (I wouldn't have guessed this!). Some people even find unplugging headphones or switching audio playback devices can help things temporarily.

Do you know which sound card you have (or PC/Laptop/Tablet model)? The first thing I'd do is see if there are any new audio drivers.

Something else I would try in Chrome is to disable hardware acceleration to see if that helps. Click Settings > Show Advanced Settings > System > Uncheck box for "Use Hardware accelerator when available".

Reaction score
Thanks for your comments..
I'm using the M-Audio Delta 44 external sound box. I'm suspecting there might be a conflict with the other sound devices in device manager (see attachments). Delta 44 is getting on a bit and there don't appear to be any update drivers, specifically for Win 10.

I've disabled hardware acceleration as you suggested

No progress at this time.

P.S: This link may confirm what I was thinking.
http://community.m-audio.com/m-audio/topics/delta44-and-windows-10-64-bit
The link refers to a 6.08 driver but my driver is 5.10.0.5078 dated 12/21/2011 & I don't know what Windows update has to do with a proprietary software driver??

Attachments

• Delta 44 device manager.PNG
    Delta 44 device manager.PNG
    5.1 KB · Views: 544
  • Delta 44 1.PNG
    Delta 44 1.PNG
    15.5 KB · Views: 553
  • Delta 44 2.PNG
    Delta 44 2.PNG
    14.4 KB · Views: 530
Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you temporarily disable the M-Audio sound device in Device Manager, does the YouTube video play? It may be a way we can at least confirm if that's the problem :).

Reaction score
Yep, that worked. I'll transfer the Delta 44 to my XP machine & see if their driver works there.
Thanks

Ask a Question