SOLVED A Switch to run two PC's, two Monitors from one Keyboard & Mouse

Reaction score
Okay, can it be done... like the thread title states. Yes, I want to run two HP desktops connected to two separate 24" monitors side by side, and able to work from one (1) keyboard and a wireless mouse.

Here's what I have now. I have those two HP desktops connected to one (1) 24" monitor by DVI-D dual link adapters, and a KVM switch with two USB ports for Mouse and Keyboard and a port from the DVI-D port on the monitor.
Question. Can it be done by taking a "Y" splitter cable adapter with HDMI ports on each end connect it to the DVI-D port on the KVM?

Reaction score
You can only use the "Y" splifter for signal duplication. The splitter can not be used for switching. So if you need the DBI-D signal to split, you will need to find a KVM that supports DVI as well as Keyboard and mouse.

I am confused though as it seems you are already connected by KVM and switching your keyboard and mouse. Which is what you are asking for in the first sentence. But then the final question makes it seem as if you also want to switch the video signal. In any case you will need a KVM to support video switching (specifically the standard you want supported).

Reaction score
I'll try to explain it in more detail. The KVM switch has a USB port on the right and left side of the KVM base. In the center of the base is a VGA port. My keyboard cable is connected to one of the USB ports and the other USB post has a Wireless mouse adapter connected. From one 24" Monitor DVI-D port, a cable has a HDMI male end, it is connected to a female HDMI with a VGA male on the other end that is connected to the center of the KVM base. From the back side of the KVM base are two cables that go to each DVI-D port on the Computers. These two cables have two USB cables built in with the DVI- cable that works for the keyboard and mouse. With all this KVM unit there is a 1" x 1" box with a wire connected to the KVM base and a button that switches the PC's to the monitor.

I need a setup where I can use my keyboard and mouse to run each PC and Monitor separate operation.

Reaction score
I think I have an idea as to what you are asking now. And if I'm right I don't know if such a device is available. You are wanting both machines usable even after switching machines?

T_J

Reaction score
I use a Belkin KVM switch with 2 PCs and 1 monitor. I only use the KVM switch for the mouse and keyboard. The 2 PCs video cables are connected directly to my 2011 Dell monitor, one VGA and one DVI something (that PC has HDMI-DVI adapter); my monitor doesn’t have a HDMI input. My Dell monitor has video input set to AUTO SELECT. VGA PC is a 2000 Dell windows 98se (games); DVI-? Is a 2011 Dell windows 10. Dell monitor has VGA and DVI-? inputs. I play Jane's F/A-18 on 2000 Dell.

Could you use your KVM for mouse and keyboard only; and connect each PC video cable directly to a different monitor; then just tap the keyboard shortcut key (for KVM) to select which PC you want to work on? Hitting one key on keyboard to switch back and forth shouldn’t slow you down more than maybe 2 seconds to work on the other monitor. Video signal should still be viewable for the non-active KVM PC. I think this would work; but I have been wrong before! And you probably already have the cables you need to try this, and you already have the KVM. TRY THIS WITH YOUR CURRENT MONITOR(S) BEFORE BUYING ANY NEW MONITORS, I COULD BE WRONG!!
Whomever runs this website; I like how good everything works.

Last edited:

T_J

Reaction score
It was late last night when I posted. Turns out the 2000 Dell PC video (VGA) does go thru my Belkin KVM. The 2011 Dell DVI-something does not go thru my Belkin KVM; and is connected directly to monitor. Belkin KVMs have keyboard hotkey sequences to switch source PC, you'd have to check instructions for whatever brand KVM you own. Try this with your current monitor(s) or HDTV before buying any new monitors.

My older Belkin 2-port KVM only has VGA ports for video; plus the mouse and keyboard ports; and is rectangular in shape.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I use a Belkin KVM switch with 2 PCs and 1 monitor. I only use the KVM switch for the mouse and keyboard. The 2 PCs video cables are connected directly to my 2011 Dell monitor, one VGA and one DVI something (that PC has HDMI-DVI adapter); my monitor doesn’t have a HDMI input. My Dell monitor has video input set to AUTO SELECT. VGA PC is a 2000 Dell windows 98se (games); DVI-? Is a 2011 Dell windows 10. Dell monitor has VGA and DVI-? inputs. I play Jane's F/A-18 on 2000 Dell.

Could you use your KVM for mouse and keyboard only; and connect each PC video cable directly to a different monitor; then just tap the keyboard shortcut key (for KVM) to select which PC you want to work on? Hitting one key on keyboard to switch back and forth shouldn’t slow you down more than maybe 2 seconds to work on the other monitor. Video signal should still be viewable for the non-active KVM PC. I think this would work; but I have been wrong before! And you probably already have the cables you need to try this, and you already have the KVM. TRY THIS WITH YOUR CURRENT MONITOR(S) BEFORE BUYING ANY NEW MONITORS, I COULD BE WRONG!!
Whomever runs this website; I like how good everything works.

T_J, I have my se
It was late last night when I posted. Turns out the 2000 Dell PC video (VGA) does go thru my Belkin KVM. The 2011 Dell DVI-something does not go thru my Belkin KVM; and is connected directly to monitor. Belkin KVMs have hotkey sequences to switch source PC, you'd have to check instructions for whatever brand KVM you own. Try this with your current monitor(s) or HDTV before buying any new monitors.

T_J, I have a SYBA KVM type switch ( as pictured below) that may be smilier to the Belkins model. It works great with two PC's and one monitor and very quick when switching between the two PC's. I have in past used the two monitors, but, couldn't get the KVM to work in my favor. Now there's more technology I figure there may be a way to solve the request.

Reaction score
I think I have an idea as to what you are asking now. And if I'm right I don't know if such a device is available. You are wanting both machines usable even after switching machines?

Clifford, That would be the way I would like to have the setup to work....Each PC and Monitor on it's own, but me being able to switch from each one with just one keyboard and mouse. Also, each PC and Monitor I could "view" at the same time.

T_J

Reaction score
right now I'm viewing this thread with mouse and keyboard (thru KVM) & DVI-something video cable coming directly from my windows 10 PC to the monitor. Try connecting video cables directly. My windows 98se PC is turned off right now.
I don't know the model number of my old Belkin due to its behind my computer desk next to the wall and it's too early to be crawling under my computer desk today. I don't know what type of DVI cable I'm using due to my setup has been like this for 4 years and I can't remember everything I did 4 years ago.
My 2011 Dell PC did need a HDMI-DVI? adapter since my 2011 Dell monitor has no HDMI port. My 2011 Dell PC probably has a VGA port (don't want to shut down PC and pull PC out of PC desk to check), but I had a DVI cable so I used the DVI cable. Could have ran the 2011 VGA video thru the KVM, but I didn't.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's what you exact requirement are,. However, this may be of interest to you.

http://www.keyboard-and-mouse-sharing.com/two-computers-one-keyboard.htm

I like the Share Mouse idea, but, I'm not wanting to move what I'm doing on one PC's monitor and move it to the other PC's monitor...or what ever it's called. I want two separate PC's with their monitor and each one has it's own website up (different sites) ....like the people in New York Wall Street have in their setups where they have several monitors and one keyboard and mouse.
It may become that I cannot actually find a solution.

T_J

Reaction score
I give it a try today with 2 pcs and 2 monitors today with one keyboard and mouse; and report back later.

T_J

Reaction score
2000 Dell (with windows 2000 running (dual boot 98/2000 with GeForce 3 Ti500 video card)) CRT monitor VGA cable connected directly to PC; and KVM for mouse and keyboard.
2011 Dell (windows 10) DVI cable connected directly to 2011 Dell monitor; and KVM for mouse and keyboard.
Hotkeys for my older rectangular shaped Belkin KVM: press scroll lock key twice then press up or down arrow to switch PC/monitor. Works Great! Can switch back and forth, takes about 4 seconds to switch PC/monitor. I've switched back and forth about 20 times while working on this post.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've spent better part of four hours today trying to get the results you laid out in your reply, T_J.
I'm going to try the Share Mouse download and see that can be done with a keyboard and mouse.
I have two (2) HP 79 Elite desktops running Windows 10 Home on one and Windows 10 Pro the other. Both have Nvidia Ge Force 8400 GS graphic cards with the latest 341.95 driver versions. Both PC's are cabled to two (2) LG Flatron 24" LCD/LED HD Monitors with DVI-D ports running HDMI males to DVI-I 24+5 female adapters and ports on the computers. If that don't work or solve my problem, I'll quit and go into basket weaving.

Reaction score
I don't think you would enjoy basket weaving. Good Luck and keep us informed of your progress.

Reaction score
I'll report back in here on my find.
I would like to say I have found the perfect software that will work having two PC's and two monitors using just ne keyboard and mouse. I downloaded www.sharemouse.com and it didn't take but a few minutes that I had it all working. ShareMouse is easy to install and work best when you have the two computers connected by Ethernet cables from your modem/router. I had both computers using WI Fi wireless and all is great, but I couldn't get the ShareMouse to finish it's setup until I connected the two Ethernet cables. Than it was there...Using the one keyboard and one Wireless or cabled mouse. The only thing I don't like and it's not that bad, is the fact when you move the mouse from one monitor to the other, the other monitor "dims" some. Just about 10-15% dimmer in all. Another thing, the mouse arrow jumps to the other monitor when you get to the edge of the monitor you are using.

So, I keep using this until it tells me to go elsewhere. But, this is a lot better than paying couple hundred dollars for some devices.

Reaction score
I'm glad it worked for you. Thanks for letting us know how you made out. I'm sure this will help others on here.
Seen quite a few posts on re 2 PC's and monitors. Your happy, up and running like the big boys on Wall St.
At least for now, you don't have time for basket weaving. LOL

Reaction score
Just an FYI - I've done it differently. I have both monitors connected to one machine (the master) and use Teamviewer (www.teamviewer.com) to get to the other one - which I display full screen on the second monitor.

The advantages are:

I can use both monitors on one system (the master) if I need to.
I can access either remotely if I need to
No hardware involved
It's free.

Ask a Question