SOLVED BSOD - MEMORY MANAGEMENT

Reaction score
I've got a PC here running Windows 10 Pro (20H2 - OS Build 19042.685). The first time it's started after being off for a while results in it booting up then restarting followed by a BSOD saying it was caused by Memory Management. It then restarts as normal and there are no more problems and it doesn't show any problems again. Even restarting the PC doesn't cause the BSOD it only does it when the PC has been turned off for a while.

I've used PC Check and found no problems with the Board, Processor, RAM or SSD. I've also run the Memory Diagnostic in Windows and found no errors.

I've reinstalled Windows 10 Pro and made sure it's all up to date but the same problem persists. I have also run CHKDSK and SFC without any difference.

V2 Log Collector attached.

- - - Updated - - -

I spoke to soon. The PC has just suffered a new BSOD while it had been running for about an hour. This time it was CRITICAL STRUCTURE CORRUPTION.

Attachments

• DESKTOP-T6L4DTC-(2020-12-30_15-39-55).zip
    510.3 KB · Views: 139
Reaction score
How old is it? You might want to check the onboard battery. Often a 2032 on desktop Mobos they last for years but when they go they go all at once. Certainly strange behavior after being turned off for a while is a symptom of that.

While you have it open make sure that the Mobo isn't full of dust around the fans including the cpu fan and around the memory DIMMS.

Reaction score
No sign of the battery failing but I'll try a new one. Seems pretty clean inside but I'll reseat things to check.

Reaction score
Changed the battery and ran Memtest86 overnight. Also ran PC Check stress test overnight with no errors. BSOD still happening on first startup of Windows and now it's started blue screen with various different stop messages after a few hours.

Reaction score
Hi,

knowing your system specs might help?. What CPU/APU, what GPU, amount of memory and what is the motherboard name?. ;)

Reaction score
Spoke too soon. The shutdowns and BSOD with various messages have come back. This is what I have tried so far:

Tried different RAM, Graphics card, hard drive, more powerful PSU. Changed the SATA cables and CMOS battery.
Checked all the wires and cables are securely connected.
The only thing left is the CPU and Motherboard and give the PC is about 7 years old I don't think it's worth spending any more time on it.

Reaction score
Can you borrow a CPU from a friend and try that?. Have you applied fresh thermal paste to the CPU?. ;)

Reaction score
Even though temps are good, it still might be a good idea to replace the thermal paste as you did say that the computer is around 7 years old?.

Another option is to try a Live version of Linux, create a bootable USB stick or DVD, boot from that and then test the hardware of your system and see if it remains stable, if it does, then the chances are that something is wrong with your Win 10 version???????.

Lots of Linux versions to choose from but I recommend Ubuntu/Ubuntu Mate or Budgie!. ;)

DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

Reaction score
Don't laugh but even though I had tested the ram with Memtest for about 12 hours with no errors, then replaced it I tried a new stick of RAM and it solved the problem. Been working for 2 days now without any shutdowns or BSOD's.

Reaction score
No problem, at least you solved it now!. Please mark the thread as solved so it helps others. :)

Ask a Question