Can't open hyperlinks after Windows 10 installation

Reaction score
Hi to all, new member on this forum struggling after Windows 10 installation. Pre Windows 10, I would cut/paste articles from various investment services, using Firefox and MS Word 2010. the articles often contain hyperlinks with the text highlighted in blue. Using Windows 7, I would be able to open all hyperlinks directly.. no problem. I wo

However, after Windows 10 installation, i can't open any hyperlinks directly from MS Word. I get an error message that says "Can't open the hyperlink for.... (URL (. Can't locate the information you requested" ., which makes no sense since the properties for the hyperlinks are right there. I can use roundabout methods to eventually open the hyperlink, but it's time consuming and annoying.

Does anyone have a fix to enable me to open hyperlinks directly in MS Word 2010? Many thanks.

Reaction score
Hi Sarasotlady,

support for it has ended so that might be partially the reason after a fresh install there were most likely no bug fixes downloaded?????.

An alternative free option is LibreOffice!. :)

Reaction score
Thanks Wolfie, I may try switching at some point, but dont want to overcomplicate things. Along with Windows 10 install, I had computer service upgrade my hardware & reinstall MS Office 2010

Reaction score
Hi,

you can try making sure that the update Windows apps software is also activated!. Settings > Update & Security > Advanced options. :)

1612772868216.png

T_J

Reaction score
MS Office 2010 still getting updates; up thru Feb 2 anyway.

MS Office Starter 2010 was installed at factory on my 2012 Dell 64-bit W7 desktop. Dell has only had OS upgrades since upgrading W7 to W10 in 2016 (currently 20H2). Microsoft Office 2010 end of support date was Oct 13, 2020. My Dell opens hyperlinks in WORD 2010.

Two Quality Updates for MS Office 2010 have been successfully installed on my Dell AFTER Dec 2, 2020 (see below). Dell was upgraded from 1909 to 2004 on Dec 2, 2020; then to 20H2 on Jan 5, 2021. Dell may have received other MS Office 2010 quality updates prior to Dec 2; but they would not be shown in current update history (due to 2004 upgrade).
  • Dec 24, 2020 install, Security Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB4486698) 32-Bit Edition (Dec 8 update)
  • Feb 3, 2021 install, Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB4493180) 32-Bit Edition (Feb 2 update)
I do have the 'Receive updates for other Microsoft products when you update Windows' turned ON (as Wolfie posted).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi TJ and Wolfie,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my calls for help!. . To recap briefly, my problems ONLY occur when I'm trying to use a COPY of a Web article that I've copied/cut/pasted into MS Word 2010 and then saved into a file for future viewing, . I've done this routine thousands of times before over the years, from the same sources using Windows XP and 7. Specific problems: hyperlink text in blue carries over to the MS Word copy, but not the underlying properties. Also, when I copy/cut/paste a Web article into Word, the copy ios missing all charts/tables and images. The Word copy leaves a big open space where the chart or graph should be. I can't copy just the charts and insert them into the Word copy-- doesn't work.
So yes, I've updated my Windows 10 settings to allow for updates, as you've suggested, but there's been no change. Found several forums where folks described similar problems but no solutions that worked. Guess I'll have to keep looking. Many thanks. Signing off.

SarasotaLady

Reaction score
Hi Sarasotlady,

I would still try LibreOffice even if it is only for a short time just to test it, it is free and you can remove it later!. :)

Reaction score
Wolfie, I'd be glad to do a trial run with LibreOffice... but will that software have any impact on the many documents I already have in WORD and EXCEL that work just fine? If no harm, be glad to try and will report results.

Sarasotalady

Reaction score
Hi Sarasotlady,

what you could do is make a new folder and bulk copy all your files into it, name it "lo copies" or something then try them out, the important thing to remember is that LO uses ODT as the default for Word docs so just make sure you save any files you open and change in Word (.doc) format. I am not sure about Excel files though as I never use it. :)

Reaction score
Appreciate your advice, but I was I was hoping that a Windows guru would pop up and say" oh sure, this is exactly what you need to do." I will try LibreOffice on new documents, but am reluctant to follow other possibilities for fear of making the situation worse. So frustrating since I've NEVER had these issues before with Windows 7, using exact same version of MS Office.So I'll leave this in hands of the business that installed Windows 10, even tho that will take weeks. If I remember, I'll post whatever solutions we come up with. Thanks for trying

Ask a Question