SOLVED Changing the Name on the Main, Exchange Account in Microsoft Outlook 2016.

Reaction score
I know this is more of a Office question than a Windows 10 one but I thought I would try my luck with this question in here.

When I first set up my Microsoft Outlook mail account and profiles, each one had a separate name.

The first email account I set up was my, main, Exchange Account. Let's say when that was first set up, I managed to get the software to put my name as "Bertie G" that showed at the top left-hand-side of Outlook.

Then I added other email profile accounts within the same account.

So let's say the 2nd email account profile is, "David P."

Let's then say there is a 3rd email account profile named "Tom Brown." These other, profile accounts were below my main Exchange Account at the top.

For a while, all these names stayed as they are shown, as names.

Then, at some stage and for some reason, my main Exchange Account changed from "Bertie G" to my main email address. For example, it changed to, (e-mail address removed)

I tried right clicking on that particular account and then I clicked on 'Data File Properties.' A small window then came up. I then clicked on, 'Advanced' and this brought up another window. Under the 'General' tab, my email address was showing as shown on the top of Outlook but it was greyed out and I could not alter it. I wanted to change it back to a name again as it was before but it would not let me do this.

When I went through this procedure with the other, email profiles, I could edit the name with no problem at all. It seems it would not let me edit the name or email address on my main, Exchange Account.

Could anybody tell me if there is a way of doing this? How it is done so that I can change the email address as shown on Outlook back to a normal name in my main Exchange Account?

Appreciate any help.

HB

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am assuming from the lack of replies that this problem cannot be achieved?

Anyone please?

HB

Reaction score
If anybody is interested, I have now found a way to achieve this through a macro. This is a .vbs extension macro that needs to be copied into Notepad. All you have to do then is save the macro to somewhere on your hard drive such as your desktop, give the macro a name & change the extension. You then just double-click on it. Once you have done this, your email address to your Microsoft Exchange Account in Microsoft Outlook will change to the name you choose.

When changing your Exchange Account to your name, this may change back again to your email address after a couple of days. However, you can easily change it back each time with the same macro that is saved to your desktop or wherever you saved it.

The name of your choice will now show instead of your Microsoft Outlook Exchange email address.

This may not interest anybody. However, if there are some that are interested in this macro, here is the link with the detailed instructions on how to achieve it.

https://www.slipstick.com/outlook/change-data-file-navigation-pane/

Thanks

Ask a Question