Dark screen after sleep

Reaction score
I just installed Windows 10 on my all-in-one HP Pavilion 23. Now after waking the computer from Sleep Mode, the screen appears very dark. The background, icons, etc. are there but are barely visible through the dark screen. After restarting the computer, everything returns to normal. The computer also wakes from Sleep Mode on its own. Has anyone else had these problems?

Reaction score
I just installed Windows 10 on my all-in-one HP Pavilion 23. Now after waking the computer from Sleep Mode, the screen appears very dark. The background, icons, etc. are there but are barely visible through the dark screen. After restarting the computer, everything returns to normal. The computer also wakes from Sleep Mode on its own. Has anyone else had these problems?

I'm having the exact same issue with my AIO HP 23. It also takes a much longer time to reboot when it happens.

Reaction score

I am experiencing the exact same issue (even same PC).

I have posted my issue in the HP forum and still no solution. What can we do to solve this very annoying issue?

Reaction score
I was having this same issue on my HP laptop and fixed it by enabling my Generic PnP Monitor in device manager...

- Right click windows logo in lower left corner
- Select Control Panel
- In Control Panel select Device Manager
- In Device Manager, look for Monitors section
- Mine had Generic PnP Monitor that was disabled with an error
- I right-clicked that item and selected Enable
- If yours is already enabled, right click and disable it and then right click again and enable it

Hope this helps

Reaction score
Yes, it's true. I just did it today. It doesn't matter that you are on Windows 10. In fact, that's the problem. The BIOS should have been updated prior to upgrading to Windows 10.

It took about 5 minutes and the problem is solved. I found this solution elsewhere and sharing here.

Reaction score
Yes, it's true. I just did it today. It doesn't matter that you are on Windows 10. In fact, that's the problem. The BIOS should have been updated prior to upgrading to Windows 10.

It took about 5 minutes and the problem is solved. I found this solution elsewhere and sharing here.

Great, what a relief. It worked for me as well!!!

Thanks a million man!

Ask a Question