SOLVED Dual boot destroyed

Reaction score
For info - Please be advised that the 12Jan2016 Windows 10 Home update destroyed my Ubuntu dual boot by labeling the Ubuntu partition as 'unallocated'.

Reaction score
How were you booting the system, Windows or Grub?

Could we get a picture of your Disk Management window to see its configuration?

Reaction score
System used Grub2 boot with Ubuntu installed in an extended partition. After the Win10 update the boot choice was Win10 only. That wasn't much of a surprise. However, Gparted showed the Ubuntu partition as unallocated and the swap partition intact. Was able to recover the Home file with Test Disk. Have reinstalled Ubuntu; system operates normally.
Surmise that Win10 takes it upon itself to 'clean up' the boot. What surprised me was that the Ubuntu partition was removed, which I interpreted as malevolent behavior and worth advising the Win10 community of my experience with the 12Jan2016 updates.
Was not aware that the Windows boot process could recognize the existence of a Linux system.

Ask a Question