SOLVED Edge and task bar disabled by updates

Reaction score
Last night, I hit "update and shut down" when I logged off. This morning I first noticed the the Edge icon was gone from my taskbar. I then found that left-clicking on the windows icon now doesn't bring up the Windows 10 start menu. I can still right click and pull up an old start menu. Several of the othe icons are not working as before- notifications don't pop up, the clock popup window is gone, the search icon next to the windows icon doesn't function, My HP Help icon, sticky note icon, Google Chrome icon, and File Explorer icon on the task bar do still work. I can navigate the internet using Chrome but it appears that pretty much all the new Windows 10 functions are disabled. I welcome any suggestions for a fix.

Reaction score
Followup info to my post re: loss of Edge and other funtions after updates were received. I ran sfc scan and dism cleanup attempt but they were unable to repair the corrupted file(s). I then tried two suggested "Get App" commands in powershell but got server failure error messages. Any help would be appreciated as the problems remain.

Reaction score
I have the same issue on my laptop, but not my desktop. I found threads in other forums that addressed this in earlier builds, but not 1511. I tried a tip suggesting setting up new administrative accounts and copying over the "Database" folder from "C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\TileLayerData" folder to the affected account, which also did not work. I'm reluctant to roll back the latest update and hoping MS issues another patch soon.

Reaction score
I finally just did a system restore after creating a windows 10 installation DVD from Microsoft's website. That put me back on Windows 7, and added a new problem- I had forgotten that my very old monitor had previously not been compatible with my then-new computer and that I had to call HP tech support to get my computer working. A call to them now revealed that they could do nothing for me. I finally found that I could buy a DVI-to-HDMI adapter and then connect to my HD TV. I then was able to use the installation CD to do an "upgrade" install of W10.
I now have a very large monitor and it looks great, although I can no longer work on the computer and watch TV at the same time; have to flip the TV source back and forth between the two. I tell this long story just to point out some more complications that can arise in the process of fixing these W10 upgrade problems. Perseverance will eventually lead to a fix though, one way or another. Thanks for all earlier replies.

Ask a Question