Extremely slow to infinite boot, including bootable usb

Reaction score
Hello,

I am trying to help my friend with his work pc (he's a dentist, so has some licenced scanner software on it). Several years ago, I moved his entire system to SSD and though I advised him to make a clean install to prevent issues, it is not so simple due to the licences.

Now to the problem...suddenly, the pc got extremely slow and it took an hour to boot, but evetually, it did. When it got to me, it managed to make it to the login screen after the hour or so, but after that it remained loading infinitely in black screen. I tried some tests, as switching SSDs between computers, which concluded with the fact that the issue must rest in the disc, not other hardware components. It kind of appears as if the memory bus, which the SSD connects to was overloaded or running in kbits/s. However, it s certain to be the SSD or software on it.

No automatic repair or safe mode helped, and finally, when I got to making some cmd repairs on bootable usb windows installation, to my surprise, the windows installation was loading infinitely as well (at windows logo stage). After realizing this, I tried again with SSD unpluged, and it worked as it should.

Now the loading got even worse than before - not reaching even the login screen. Suspecting faulty SSD, but I have not found anything that would really directly confirm this on the Internet. Never before I have seen not even Windows installation loading. Opinions?

Thank you in advance.

Windows 10 is installed on single SSD. No other discs are present.

Reaction score
Update: I have managed to run it as a secondary disc on another PC. In the task manager, I see that the disc is 100% active even when there is no transmission. It is accessible, but the speed is ether zero or in kbits/s. I am saving the data in case there won't be any solution.

Ask a Question