Frequent Crashes - EventID 10016

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I've been plagued by a 10016 errors below for a couple of weeks now. Initially I could see from other suggestions in this forum that the permissions were not set correctly so Ive followed suggestions but am still struggling.

I recently completed a windows 10 reset however the problems returned within 48hrs so Im thinking of downloading Win10 media and doing a format and reinstall. I shouldn't need to and from what ive read the 'Reset' function should clear Registry and settings but its the only last thing I can think of.
when I setup the new Windows accounts I started with creating the windows live outlook accounts (i.e logging into outlook.com). Ive sinced tried migrating these accounts to local accounts which didnt make any odds, so if I reformatted and started again I think i'd start with a clean local account too.

My errors are also related to PerAppRuntimeBroker but also Immersive Shell;

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54}
and APPID
{15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402}
to the user DESKTOP-7NQ31F4\Adam SID (S-1-5-21-3594711676-101243724-2143443936-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{C2F03A33-21F5-47FA-B4BB-156362A2F239}
and APPID
{316CDED5-E4AE-4B15-9113-7055D84DCC97}
to the user DESKTOP-7NQ31F4\Adam SID (S-1-5-21-3594711676-101243724-2143443936-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_10.0.18362.387_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy SID (S-1-15-2-155514346-2573954481-755741238-1654018636-1233331829-3075935687-2861478708). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

I've followed a few steps from various places but in summary its applying permissions to the registry folder from 'Trusted Installer' to 'Administrators' and then into the DCOM config and editing the permissions to make sure the user "Adam" has allow privileges for all items.

I've double checked all of this and am still getting the above errors which is crashing my computer everytime something graphics intensive is done, i.e play a game, run a graphics card benchmark or watch a large video.

Does anyone have any other suggestions as this is really killing me
wacko.gif

Regedit32

Reaction score
You mentioned you have tried a few things based on items read here and elsewhere.

Did you read an article I posted some time ago now: https://www.windows10forums.com/articles/event-id-10016-distributedcom.47/

On the assumption you did, or have found similar information elsewhere, my main question would be when you eventually managed to Edit the Group or user names via Component Services did you take note whether or not SYSTEM was included in that list?

If it wasn't, adding it to the list and providing it similar permissions may alleviate your situation.

Reaction score
You mentioned you have tried a few things based on items read here and elsewhere.

Did you read an article I posted some time ago now: https://www.windows10forums.com/articles/event-id-10016-distributedcom.47/

On the assumption you did, or have found similar information elsewhere, my main question would be when you eventually managed to Edit the Group or user names via Component Services did you take note whether or not SYSTEM was included in that list?

If it wasn't, adding it to the list and providing it similar permissions may alleviate your situation.

Thanks for your quick reply and yes that thread was very useful.
System was already listed in the permissions with full access.

Im currently exploring another possibility that my power supply could be the cause of the crashes and not the 10016 errors as im able to stress test my CPU without issues, Memtest is fine but any load or stress test around the GPU results in a crash.
currently unsure whether its linked but the 10016 errors are still there either way.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Im currently exploring another possibility that my power supply could be the cause of the crashes and not the 10016 errors as im able to stress test my CPU without issues, Memtest is fine but any load or stress test around the GPU results in a crash.

That is a good thought!

As I recall, when I published the article I mentioned the timestamped errors, often are managed by the operating system with no issues affecting usage by the User, so as a general rule of thumb, you can avoid messing around with Component Services altogether.

The main purpose of the article was to illustrate a method to over come an issue, when a User has insufficient permissions to modify DCOMs.

Have you taken a look inside your computer at all? Just wondering whether some thermal paste is needed, or whether any present already is damaged. Plus, you might want to confirm the cooling system for your computer is in fact running optimally.

Reaction score
That is a good thought!

As I recall, when I published the article I mentioned the timestamped errors, often are managed by the operating system with no issues affecting usage by the User, so as a general rule of thumb, you can avoid messing around with Component Services altogether.

The main purpose of the article was to illustrate a method to over come an issue, when a User has insufficient permissions to modify DCOMs.

Have you taken a look inside your computer at all? Just wondering whether some thermal paste is needed, or whether any present already is damaged. Plus, you might want to confirm the cooling system for your computer is in fact running optimally.

No, Ive not looked at thermal paste but have monitored the temperatures of the GPU and CPU and they're well below any significant levels. The PSU is a branded model (Corsair HX620), although is now the oldest component in the build (it didnt get upgraded 2 years ago when the mobo/CPU/gfx/memory did) so im thinking this is a likely culprit. Its around 9 years old now I come to think of it.

It could well be i've put 2 and 2 together to get 5 - that while these errors are not ideal they may not be the root cause of the crashing. They're frequent in Event Viewer and there is nothing else to suggest a driver or anything else is playing up but that would be the case if one of the PSU supply rails is failing.
I'll post back results here if I manage to confirm this angle. Thanks for your input.

Regedit32

Reaction score
The 10016 event is very common. That is probably why so many posts about it exist on it when you do a search.

The problem with those posts is they are very outdated. Some of them are from Users who were running Windows Vista for example.

As you have already made some DCOM changes, and as you are continuing along the line of investigating hardware issues, it will be interesting to see whether in a few days the 10016 events start reducing, or whether they in fact remain about the same.

That may give a hint as to which angle ultimately leads to a happy resolution for you.

Reaction score
So here’s an interesting update!
managed to get hold of a spare PSU and the problems went away, I could stress test my GPU and play games for a couple of hours without a single crash.
was about to pack it all away and consider online shopping for a new PSU when I thought I’d try moving the PCIE cable along to a different slot in the PSU and came across this;

EB7AB439-0CE7-4BFC-A896-A9C1153775BD.jpeg

Have to say this is looking like the culprit. Can’t imagine I can pass too much current down those outside pins.

never ever seen anything like this before and would never have considered checking it... every day is a learning day I guess!

Regedit32

Reaction score
Woah — lucky you didn't end up with a fire, or some serious damage to your motherboard.

Apart from the obvious damage to cable, its pretty dirty too --- time to clean the inside I think.

Glad a second PSU has proven your initial idea of a hardware issue being the root of your problems. Great detective work there!

Ask a Question