SOLVED Getting Rid of Windows 10 - help needed please!

Reaction score
I'm generally a pretty laid-back sort of person, but the one thing I will NOT stand for is being bullied - and there really is no other word to describe the behaviour of Windows 10. (Sorry about the anthromorphism, but that is really the only word!)

I tried it when the free download was offered last year, played around with it for a couple of days, hated it and took it out, reverting my (then) computer to Windows 7. What I disliked most was the feeling of not having the fine control over my own computer that I was used to. However a year or so later I realised that I would have to get a new computer with much more room on it. The one I chose had Windows 10 pre-installed but that didn't worry me too much as I assumed that if I really couldn't get on with it I could always take it out and install Windows 7 from my own disc.

In fact my experience with Windows 10 has been a total nightmare! It will not let me set as default any programme that is not made by Microsoft (with the exception, for some reason, of my Corel photo editing programme), it will not let me delete the 'apps' as it calls them that I never use, such as One Drive, the gaming facility and anything to do with transferring and sharing between devices (I only ever use my PC) and it will not save scanned things into the filing system I have created on the D drive but only on the C drive. Worst of all, it has now made it impossible to use System Restore, for some reason totally beyond my comprehension. It did a major update some weeks ago and virtually destroyed the desktop that I have designed for myself and it was only by using System Restore that I managed to get it all back, so goodness knows what I'd do if that happened now.

I've finally got to the point where, for the sake of my sanity, I need to delete Windows 10 and install Windows 7. However when I checked with ASUS that this would work OK, ASUS told me that it wouldn't because there are no Windows 7 drivers available for this new computer!!!. I want to scream, like Victor Meldrew, 'I don't BELIEVE it!'

Has anyone else been through all this? Can anyone tell me a workaround regarding Windows 7 drivers?

Reaction score
I'm not sure that the advice Asus gave you is correct. If you have the Windows 7 install media, it would include the required drivers. I would create a system image on an external USB drive of what you currently have. Insert the Windows 7 install media and see what the outcome is. It's a real pain reinstalling the updates, but well worth the effort. I don't claim to be an expert on these OS and driver issues. But, I'm sure other members will be more than willing to give you the correct answer that you are looking for. Just sit tight and follow your post.

I don't want you rushing into what I suggested, that's all it is, just a suggestion. I returned my Laptop from Win 10 to Win7 using the install media with no ill effects or performance issues. However the Laptop originally had OEM Win 7 OS

Reaction score
Thank you Norton. I'm interested in what you say because, when I first thought about doing this my professional 'computer man' was here sorting out a wireless access problem (nothing to do with Windows 10) and I bounced the idea off him whilst I had the chance. He said it would work OK and he is the best computer tech. I've ever come across. It was only seeing a reply on here to someone else, mentioning the need to ensure the appropriate drivers were available for that person's computer, that prompted me to check. I think, as well as waiting to see what others say on here, I might write back to Asus, just in case they didn't realise that I have the complete installation disc.( I thought they were saying that older drivers wouldn't work on this computer because it isn't designed to be used with Windows 7.)

I know what you mean about all the downloads but it'd be worth waiting for those to install! What I would do first of all, though, is install 'Never 10', a natty little application that allows most Windows 7 updates through but blocks any that prepare the computer for Windows 10. It worked like a charm when I used it before.

Reaction score
There is a possibility that your new machine will not work with Windows 7. Depends on how new it is and what cpu it has. The very latest cpus from Intel are only supported by W10. But it is not likely that you have one ( a Kaby Lake cpu)

If your W7 disc has SP1 this will improve your chances of success otherwise it make take some time to get the W7 installation uptodate. There are a LOT of updates from the original W7 disc. If your W7 disc is an original it would be worth asking your 'computer man' if he can find one with SP1 slipstreamed onto it.

Reaction score
I certainly understand where you are coming from. I have kept all of my Win 7 installs. But you have a new system so you might check the ASUS site to see if they provide Windows 7 drivers for it.

Windows 7 may have drivers for the newer devices, but maybe not. If you revert back without necessary and functional drivers, you will not be happy. With all its faults, Win 10 has moved technology forward. There may be some things on that system you will like.

One major question would be do you want to buy a Windows 7 license for it?

Reaction score
There is a possibility that your new machine will not work with Windows 7. Depends on how new it is and what cpu it has. The very latest cpus from Intel are only supported by W10. But it is not likely that you have one ( a Kaby Lake cpu)

If your W7 disc has SP1 this will improve your chances of success otherwise it make take some time to get the W7 installation uptodate. There are a LOT of updates from the original W7 disc. If your W7 disc is an original it would be worth asking your 'computer man' if he can find one with SP1 slipstreamed onto it.

Reaction score
Computer was bought new in August 2016.

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4170 CPU @ 3.70GHz, 3700 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

Reaction score
I certainly understand where you are coming from. I have kept all of my Win 7 installs. But you have a new system so you might check the ASUS site to see if they provide Windows 7 drivers for it.

One major question would be do you want to buy a Windows 7 license for it?

ASUS tell me that there are no Windows 7 drivers for this machine - it isn't intended to be used for Windows 7.
I'd be perfectly happy to buy a Windows 7 licence if necessary.

I bought the computer because it is fast and is already wi-fi enabled. I'd never have done so had I realised I couldn't simply swap Windows 10 for Windows 7. Windows 10 is obviously designed for people who live very different lives from mine and have very different needs from their ccomputers. I only ever work on this PC, I do not own any other computers, laptops, smartphones, tablets or anything else, so a lot of the stuff on Windows 10 is of no use at all but it will not let me delete the bits I don't want. I don't use the Windows storage/filing system, most of my preferred applications are not Microsoft ones and I like to have control over my computer, e.g. where scanned documents and images are downloaded to. I feel totally and absolutely at the mercy of Microsoft, to the extent that I feel I'm being bullied into having things I don't want or need, whilst not being able to do what I like and have my stuff where I want it. So there isn't anything about it that I actually like.

Reaction score
I'm beginning to think that my best bet might be, as this computer is still under warranty, to see if I can exchange it for an alternative that has Windows 7 pre-installed.

Reaction score
I used to use W7 and moved to W10. I agree that there are many applications that come with W10 that are for a different version of humanity than I am. Skype,Groove,Xbox to name the most obvious. But they can just be removed from the start menu or even uninstalled and then ignored forever. As for the destination of scans I fin d that I can put them wherever I want them and I can default my email and browser to whatever I want.

I also agree that W10 can be annoying with the lack of control over updates and, imho, the fact that it still isn't 'finished'. The existence of Settings AND Control panel being my example.

Reaction score
Thanks to all who have replied. In view of the difference of opinion about this, I think I'm going to ask my computer man to see if he can get Windows 7 on from the installation disc I have. If not, he may have one that will work. Asus say I cannot exchange the computer because it is now outside the exchange period of the retailer - so I guess that guarantee only applies if you buy direct from them. Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions.

Reaction score
If nothing else works, you could buy a second-hand machine that will run W7, or even better, a machine that has W 7 already installed. There must still be many around. Windows 7 is still widely used. For example, my local library still uses it. Perhaps soemone somewhere is changing to W 10.

Or, you could ask your computer man/shop to build you one that would run W 7.

Reaction score
Or, you could ask your computer man/shop to build you one that would run W 7.[/QUOTE]

Or ask him if he would consider building one and doing you a swap.

Reaction score
Even easier.... download a copy of Linux, Ubuntu or Mint and be free from Microsoft forever. Either will undoubtedly run perfectly on your new machine. There are certainly some good photo editing programs available there, not Corel sadly ( I was surprised that the Corel applications didn't run on Linux, I just checked)

Reaction score
Speaking with great trepidation, I wonder if you haven't given W10 a chance. Your list of problems does not ring any bells with me. I found W10 surprisingly alien at first, but with perserverence I would definitely not go back to W7. W10 is the one for touch sensitive screens, which I do not have, but has so many improvements that it would be the baby and bath-water thing to go backwards.
Linux would be attractive only to those who don't have any windows-only software. Does Photoshop and Lightroom run on Linux, I don't know but assume No. for me that's a sorry can't go there.

Reaction score
I agree with Denbigh: I would persevere with W 10. After the August Update many people had quite major difficulties. I had only one: a minor glitch where W 10 would no longer fully recognise my SSD. A minor problem solved with a simple workaround followed by MS curing it about 6 weeks later with an update. I have had no other problems with Windows 10 since I started with it in June 2016.

Out of the (probably several millions) of W 10s installed, logic says that the vast majority of users have had no significant problems. If the majority of commercial users had your problems there would have been an almighty row. That leads to the conclusion that there must be something wrong somewhere, probably not your fault, in your setup, despite the computer being quite new, or in an added program. I suggest you reformat your HDD (I don't know how to do that but Internet help sites will), re-install W 10 using MS's Media Creation Tool from:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

This will give you the present up-to-date version. (I used it in the Summer when my SSD was installed: it went smoothely.) Run all its features hard without any other software to see if it will be stable for you. If so, gradually install your additional S/W one at a time and run each hard. Hopefully, this might detect something and after correcting get you going. Or you could get your computer man (in whom you say you have confidence) to do it all. He could also test each part of your hardware to see if something is misbehaving: a single cell in RAM or the HHD or a tiny power supply glitch. A huge bother I know, but probably no more than trying to revert to W 7.

Of course, all this does not take account of you distaste of the Way W 10 updates itself automatically. I don't either but I will live with it. If that distase is decisive, W 7 is the only way to go.

Good luck.

Ask a Question