Getting this message when I log in: "Can not connect to Windows Services"

Reaction score
I'm not sure what all is affected by "Windows services" not connecting but since that happened, I am unable to access my Outlook email and a solitaire game won't open. I'm also trying to update Windows Defender but it won't finish updating. And, I have checked to see if an update is due and it just never stops looking for one. Little blue dots, little blue dots, little blue dots...

I have not downloaded anything from anywhere.

I checked on a Microsoft forum but honestly the "help" there is so complicated that I can't trust myself to accomplish the convoluted steps being recommended.

I never had any problems with Vista or 8.1. I'm almost ready to go back to 8.1.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The problem you are describing may be unique to your user profile.
Try creating a new user account as a member of the local administrator's group (not a standard user). Then log off from your account and log on with the new user account and test and see if the problem you are experiencing persists.... "Can not connect to Windows Services".

Reaction score
Try creating a new user account as a member of the local administrator's group (not a standard user). Then log off from your account and log on with the new user account and test and see if the problem you are experiencing persists.... "Can not connect to Windows Services".

OK. I'm not sure I understand how to even get to a "local administrator's group" to create a new user profile.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Go to
C:\Windows\System32
Find
Cmd.exe
Right click it and choose run as administrator
At the admin command prompt type
net user JohnSmith /add
hit enter
then type
net localgroup administrators JohnSmith /add
hit enter
type
exit
hit enter
Restart and log in as JohnSmith

Reaction score
Thanks, this I understand. But, if I try this and don't get the same can't connect message, then what? will I have to be john smith from now on? I'm not a total luddite but I'm not terribly tech savvy.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
First......
You don't have to use "JohnSmith" you can be Bob, Stanley or Horatio, JohnSmith was just an example.
Second if the new user (whatever name you pick) seems to work without issue, then that might suggest that there is a problem with your user profile and you will need to recover the items from the corrupt profile, into the new profile.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/fix-corrupted-user-profile#1TC=windows-7
The process described for Windows 7 works for Windows 10. The only caveat being that you will need a third admin user, as you cannot be logged in as either the user you are copying from or to.

Reaction score
Thanks again. I understood that it didn't have to be John Smith. I'm still concerned about having to establish another profile and another admin. I'm really very frustrated by this, and would very much like to ditch windows 10.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm almost ready to go back to 8.1.
I'm really very frustrated by this, and would very much like to ditch windows 10
It's possible, as long as it's within a month of the upgrade and you have not deleted the Windows.OLD folder
Start Button -> Settings -> Update & Security -> Left Column Recovery -> Go Back
I would strongly recommend backing up all your critical data, including doing a full disk image
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/
Of course I would and in fact did recommend doing that before performing the upgrade in the first place.

Reaction score
Thank you, Trouble. I really do appreciate your help.

It's been well over a month, I believe July is when 10 installed. About a month ago I had an issue with crashing every hour or so. At that time my PC was still under warranty with HP, so I was able to get tech help via the phone. Not sure what they did (the tech did the driving) but it did fix that particular issue. Now, of course, the PC is out of warranty.

I've been unable to update the Windows Defender but it gets about a third of the way through then can't finish installing, can that be due to the same Windows Service issue?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I've been unable to update the Windows Defender but it gets about a third of the way through then can't finish installing, can that be due to the same Windows Service issue?
I couldn't say for certain but one might assume so.

Ask a Question