Reaction score
Upgraded from Win 7

On Win 10 startup.. "preparing automatic repair"
now i am i a blue screen loop.
"Your PC ran in to a problem and needs to restart"
"We are collection some error info and will restart for you"
after 100% progress indicator.
Msg Loop repeats.

Boot interrupt (esc key) into DOS machines startup menu and selecting Recover Repair,
enters into same error msg loop as above.

I can chg boot to USB drive or DVD but Win 10 starts its failed recovery even before those devices can be accessed. This is a tight loop of recovery attempt, Win 10 gathering info then wdf_violation error msg.

I have a brick here unless i pull out the hard drive.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello harpo and welcome to the forum.
That's a new one for me, so I did some searching and found this
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/li...235(v=vs.85).aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396
Not that it's much help at this stage of the game, but.....
Since it is suggesting a potential driver issue and some people have linked it to USB peripherals you may want to unplug everything except the
Keyboard, Monitor and Mouse and see if that helps anything at all.

Reaction score
Upgraded from Win 7

Msg Loop repeats.

Boot interrupt (esc key) into DOS machines startup menu and selecting Recover Repair,
enters into same error msg loop as above.

I can chg boot to USB drive or DVD but Win 10 starts its failed recovery even before those devices can be accessed. This is a tight loop of recovery attempt, Win 10 gathering info then wdf_violation error msg.

I have a brick here unless i pull out the hard drive.

I just got the identical problem after upgrading from Windows 8.1. Everything seemed to be running fine. Then started acting strange. Tried to reboot and now in this death loop. No way to boot.

Reaction score
If you can create the Windows 10 repair disk, pop that in to fix the "startup." Windows 10 will reboot normally. It'll STILL not bring up your desktop properly. But reboot with the repair disk again and go back to "previous version." It'll hang on a blue screen that says "restoring previous build, restarting." Reboot normally, and it'll say it's going back to previous "version." That'll restore you to pre-upgrade cleanly.

Reaction score
If you can create the Windows 10 repair disk, pop that in to fix the "startup." Windows 10 will reboot normally. It'll STILL not bring up your desktop properly. But reboot with the repair disk again and go back to "previous version." It'll hang on a blue screen that says "restoring previous build, restarting." Reboot normally, and it'll say it's going back to previous "version." That'll restore you to pre-upgrade cleanly.
Thanks for the reply Barley. No way to create a windows 10 repair disk - or do anything else. Trying to boot gives alternating messages of "WDF_VIOLATION" and "INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE." I don't see any way past that. Fortunately I made a clone of my hard drive a week ago before the Windows 10 upgrade. I just swapped that drive in and I'm back on Win 8.1 one week ago. This machine has been running rock solid for years. This is strictly a Windows 10 problem and you can be sure that the 2 of us reporting it here won't be the only victims. This is going to do a lot of damage before the world figures it out. I'm done with Windows 10. There's simply no excuse for bugs that trash your computer making it into production.

Reaction score
I agree that this one error was a game ender. But I was also surprised that the repair disk option was only available when I went to start via right-click and selected "control panel" on another windows 10 pc, which brought up its old windows 7 procedure for creating a repair disk. That's not something I saw on Microsoft's site.

In any case, if you've got a friend who's running 10, make a repair disk to un-brick a windows 10 installation.

Reaction score
I've had the same experience to 10 from win 7. after a day with 10 running, I got the blue screen with the wdf vialation loop. I tried changing the boot drive etc.with no change. i have a laptop running 10 for now, so I created a win 10 startup dvd last night. When I turned the cpu on this morning the loop is gone but the computer will not turn on. thanks ron

Reaction score
Upgraded from Win 7

Msg Loop repeats.

I get the same thing. New upgrade from W7. HP Pavilion desktop.
I was chugging along OK, testing apps, and then I decided to restart. There was a message about updating, then the WDF_VIOLATION-boot loop.
I tried to get into a boot-control window by hitting ESC, but I couldn't find anything like a "safe mode".
Consensus in various forums is that it is a driver issue. I have a firewire board, which gets accused in a couple of the forums. FWIW, W10 cannot see my USB3 ports.
Does anyone know of a boot-time tool that will allow loading drivers one at a time, interactively?

Reaction score
Is this un fixable then without a disc my computer did it to is it done for and is there any way to get stuff off

Reaction score
Is this un fixable then without a disc my computer did it to is it done for and is there any way to get stuff off

It's fixable. But you need the Windows 10 repair disk from any Windows 10 machine.... I had more than one workstation and was able to create the repair disk; but perhaps a library or a school or even a store might be able to help.....

Reaction score
Hello harpo and welcome to the forum.
That's a new one for me, so I did some searching and found this
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff557235(v=vs.85).aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396
Not that it's much help at this stage of the game, but.....
Since it is suggesting a potential driver issue and some people have linked it to USB peripherals you may want to unplug everything except the
Keyboard, Monitor and Mouse and see if that helps anything at all.
This worked for me! I had a Sony camera that was powered off but still plugged into the USB drive. I didn't think it would be a problem since it was off. I started unplugging all usb peripherals one by one and that was the culprit. Yay!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Mark and welcome to the forum.

Reaction score
Start by unplugging usb peripherals one at a time (even if powered off) and reboot each time. My issue turned out to be a Sony camera that was plugged into the USB and the camera was off.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Barley. No way to create a windows 10 repair disk - or do anything else. Trying to boot gives alternating messages of "WDF_VIOLATION" and "INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE." I don't see any way past that. Fortunately I made a clone of my hard drive a week ago before the Windows 10 upgrade. I just swapped that drive in and I'm back on Win 8.1 one week ago. This machine has been running rock solid for years. This is strictly a Windows 10 problem and you can be sure that the 2 of us reporting it here won't be the only victims. This is going to do a lot of damage before the world figures it out. I'm done with Windows 10. There's simply no excuse for bugs that trash your computer making it into production.

Count me in as a victim to Windows 10 upgrade. Mine ran fine for a few weeks, now I'm fighting the same battle. Been fighting it for a week now. If I can get my computer past the blue looping screen, I will delete Window 10 and go back to the prior windows. I'm so done with this battle. I know it has nothing to do with my computer or its components. I was able to run it in Safe Mode so I could run a diagnostic which showed the computer was ok. Going to try some other options I seen to see if that will cure Windows 10's blotched program. js

Last edited by a moderator:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Cynthia and welcome to the forum.
Are you experiencing the exact same error
"WDF_VIOLATION" and "INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE"
Usually a Windows Driver Foundation Violation is related to a driver.
In Safe Mode, only a few select drivers are loaded and even those are basic generic drivers, like your normal GPU Adapter driver is reduced to a generic VGA driver.
I'd first look to that as a possible cause and perhaps consider uninstalling it (the display adapter not the VGA Safe Mode adapter.... likely an nVidia, Intel or AMD / ATI) and rebooting in normal mode and see if that helps.
Likewise some add-on peripheral devices, especially USB Dongles supporting wireless hardware such as wireless keyboards, mice and network adapters may also cause an issue.
You might consider reducing your computer to a basic..... Monitor, USB Keyboard and USB Mouse to test

Reaction score
Hello Cynthia and welcome to the forum.
Are you experiencing the exact same error
"WDF_VIOLATION" and "INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE"
Usually a Windows Driver Foundation Violation is related to a driver.
In Safe Mode, only a few select drivers are loaded and even those are basic generic drivers, like your normal GPU Adapter driver is reduced to a generic VGA driver.
I'd first look to that as a possible cause and perhaps consider uninstalling it (the display adapter not the VGA Safe Mode adapter.... likely an nVidia, Intel or AMD / ATI) and rebooting in normal mode and see if that helps.
Likewise some add-on peripheral devices, especially USB Dongles supporting wireless hardware such as wireless keyboards, mice and network adapters may also cause an issue.
You might consider reducing your computer to a basic..... Monitor, USB Keyboard and USB Mouse to test

Reaction score
Hello Trouble.....I just reset my computer to factory settings then used by backup to retrieve my files. It works fine now. No problem yet.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
While perhaps not optimal, I suppose any solution is better than no solution at all.
Thanks for the follow-up Cynthia, glad to hear that you are at least up and running again.

Ask a Question