Hard drive destroyed After Updateing To Windows 10

Reaction score
After I upgraded Windows Technical Preview, which is running in dual-boot alongside Windows 8.1, my computer turned off. When I turn it back on, the BIOS asks which hard drive to use but there aren't any listed apart from the CD-Drive.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Without knowing anything about the specifics of the computer you are talking about, a solution or even a suggestion might be difficult at best.
Some details regarding your system might be helpful.
It's possible, I suppose, that the storage controller "Mode" may have been changed or the boot options may have been changed from Legacy to UEFI you might want to investigate that by entering the full System Setup Utility BIOS (not just the BIOS boot menu).
Again some specifics would be helpful... like if your computers uses UEFI / GPT versus Legacy / MBR.
IF the BIOS truly no longer sees the physical disk anymore then you may have to remove it and attach it to a second computer to see if you can determine if the disk has actually failed completely or if partition(s) containing the Boot Configuration Data are missing or corrupt.
You might try booting from the Windows 8.1 installation media and attempt to perform a Startup Repair to reconstitute the BCD.

Reaction score
In addition to what Trouble suggests if the computer in question is a PC check the tightness of the cables that connect your HDD to the motherboard. I have had this happen a few times after having my PC opened. I have bumped it just enough to loosen up one of the SATA cables. Just something else to check.

Ask a Question