HDMI Audio Not Working Windows 10 Surface Pro 3

Reaction score
I just upgraded my Surface Pro 3 to Windows 10 and now the HDMI audio will not work. Every once in a while it seems like the audio is trying to come through but just very small bits and pieces. I've already checked the cables all the way through to isolate the issue back to the Surface and it had worked perfectly before the update. I thought this issue was already corrected before official launch but I guess not. Video still works great.

Reaction score
After screwing around a bit I found some settings that work. Control Panel > Sound > Playback > Selected Intel(R) Display Audio (make sure it it set as default device when HDMI is plugged in) > Click to highlight > Properties > Advanced > Default Format:

16 bit, 32000 Hz (FM Radio Quality), 24 bit, 44100 Hz (Studio Quality), and 24 bit, 48000 Hz (Studio Quality) work.

16 bit, 44100 Hz (CD Quality) and 16 bit, 48000 Hz (DVD Quality) do NOT work.

I've never had to change this setting before but I had a feeling I should give it a shot and I guess this will work as a workaround.

Ask a Question