Is It Possible To Enlarge The Task Bar?

Reaction score
When I have my Firefox browser opened I can't unhide the taskbar. If I minimize Firefox the taskbar will unhide normally. It gives the appearance that Firefox is too large and the cursor cannot connect with the taskbar. I keep the task bar at the bottom of the screen but the same thing happens if I move it to the right or left edge and maximize Firefox. If I put the cursor on the top edge of the task bar I can activate the 2 ended arrow that is normally used to move edges of app windows. In this case though it does nothing as far as pulling the top edge up a bit. I think if I could make the taskbar just a smidgen taller I could unhide it with Firefox open. Windows live mail does not interfere with the taskbar.

Reaction score
There should not be a problem. I suspect that you have the taskbar locked(?)
Right click the taskbar and, near the bottom of the popup menu, unlock the taskbar. You should then be able to stretch it wider.
But, you are aware you can also "autohide" the taskbar? Right click taskbar - properties - second item.

Reaction score
Taskbar is not locked and autohide is always activated. I did just discover that the taskbar can be enlarged, but only in preset increments. Needed to activate the double arrow and then move it upwards until the taskbar clicked open to a new size. I was trying to move it just a bit and that didn't work. Alas enlarging it does not solve the problem that it will not unhide with Firefox opened maximized. I works ok on my other computer with the taskbar set at its normal height. For some as of yet unknown reason it doesn't work on this machine as the taskbar will remain hidden until I minimize or close Firefox.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you are describing Firefox in "Full Screen" rather than Firefox "Maximized"
Use Windows Key + F11 to toggle between modes.

Reaction score
Thanks Trouble, whatever happened the problem is fixed. I didn't know about the F11 option and when I tried it the address, tab, and menu bars disappeared from the top of the window where they normally reside as I'm guessing Full Screen or Maximized was activated. In that mode the taskbar still would not appear. I toggled the mode again and I'm guessing it went back to the Maximized or Full Screen mode where it was as the address, tab and menu bars reappeared and BINGO the taskbar started working. No idea what happened that fixed the taskbar.

Reaction score
If I close Firefox and reopen it the taskbar will, once again not come out of hiding. If I click Windows Key + F11 to enlarge it and then Windows Key + F11 again to return it to normal the taskbar will start unhiding normally until I once again shut down and reopen Firefox. Strange behavior that doesn't happen on my other computer.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Not sure what may be happening.
It sounds like you may be closing firefox in full screen mode and it remembers that configuration and when opened again, then it reopens in full screen mode. Which automatically will cover the taskbar.

You can identify one mode "Full Screen" from the other "Maximized", by the fact that in "Full Screen" mode you will typically have to bump your cursor at the top of the browser in order to display the address bar and other controls that are normally always visible in "Maximized" mode.

Try confirming that you are in "Maximized" mode rather than "Full Screen" mode and then close the browser.
Then reopen it. It should open normally in "Maximized" mode then.
If that fails examine the properties of the shortcut you are using to open Firefox and make sure that there are not extra parameters in the properties dictating how Firefox opens.
There are also some addons / extensions that will force Firefox to open in "Full Screen" mode https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/FF_Fullscreen/
Probably worth taking a look to confirm you don't have anything like that installed.

Reaction score
Good morning Trouble. I'm definitely in maximized mode and I only have 3 extensions installed (cookie culler, adblock plus and colorful tabs) which are the same ones installed in Firefox on my other computer. Nothing unusual in the shortcut that opens Firefox so I'm thinking I've got something corrupted in the Firefox files. Pretty easy to remove and reinstall of fresh download of Firefox so I'm going to give that a try.

Edit: Well this is frustrating. Uninstalled everything and did a fresh install. It's doing the same thing and it was doing it right from the start before I had anything installed or configured. Got everything installed (3 extensions, bookmarks, etc.) and set up and the problem is still there. I'm stumped.

Last edited:

Ask a Question