SOLVED Is my monitor going bad?

Reaction score
My monitor has gone black for just a moment then comes back and looks normal. This started only a few weeks ago but may be getting more frequent. Is this a sign that I need to replace it? It's a Dell, about 18 inches diagonally. If it's not the monitor it might be a sign that something else is going bad?

Reaction score
it is possible that the monitor is going bad, more precisely the back light in it. Those LED can cause this symptom especially after a certain age. However, as of now, I would not worry about it too much. If the problem gets too frequent that working with it is no longer tolerable, I would get a new one.
BTW: does the power light stay on when the problem occurs??
Another cause could be the cable itself. Try to reseat the cable on both ends. Last but not least the video card can cause this as well.
Please observe the behavior of the monitor. If the symptom gets more frequent, check if the monitor goes to standby. If that is the case, you can rule out the monitor.

Reaction score
Thank you for your suggestions. I'm trying to anticipate whether the screen going black is indicative of immediate impending failure of the device or whether I can expect it to act up with more frequency before going out completely. The episodes are currently lasting only a second or two so I will follow your advice to wait for more signs of deterioration.

Ask a Question