Laptop constantly running at 100% disk in task manager

Reaction score
I'm sorry if this is not the correct place to post this, but I just wasn't sure where to go, and I tried a search and much to my surprise did not find anything to match my problem. All of a sudden it's become quite noticeable that my system is barely breathing! When I checked task manager it shows my disk @ 100% and often shows my memory way up there too. I googled this and found a few things, which I tried, but nothing has worked. First I disabled windows search. I checked disk performance, no issues. I uninstalled AVG free. I restored from a previous restore point. I've seen sites that say this is a common problem with Windows 10, but I haven't had the problem until the past week or so. I uninstalled Malwarebytes because it was the only new thing I had installed. Nothing has helped long term. It might come down to zero for a little bit, but always shoots back up. I'm not the most technical person, so I'm just hoping for someone here being able to give me a simple fix for this. Is there one? I'm ready to send my laptop flying like a disc!!! I added a pic of what the disk and memory look like of and on. Right this current moment disk is @ 0%. I generally use Firefox for browsing. Not sure what else you might need to know. Thanks so much for your time!

Reaction score
Since you are the only one with that system, you need to find what is using the drive. If you had included the offenders in your attachment, we may have noticed something.

You can set Task Manager to show the most active processes listed at the top and perhaps that would give you a clue. If you wanted more info you could use the Resource Manager and do the same thing but with that utility, you can filter the listing for specific processes.

I do see you are using 92% memory, maybe the system is paging because you memory is full.

Reaction score
Where it says 100%, click that and sort it by by disk usage (the little arrow will point down). That'll show what's writing to disk. Saltgrass is right. At 92% usage, you're most likely writing to the page file.

Reaction score
Thank you Saltgrass & BigFeet! I clicked the arrow down (thank you for that BigFeet!) So, my 92% usage goes up like that when the disk goes to 100%. I just took this snipit when the disk was @1% and you can see the Memory went down to 45%. This is what I can't figure out. It continually does this high peak, and then down. Now that I know how to get the usage at the top, that will help a lot. I feel like it's a virus, but AVG didn't show anything, nor did Avast. Malwarebytes didn't detect anything, and I have Spywareblaster. So, now that I have turned that arrow to show me the program at fault, it hasn't gone back up to 100%, which is very unusual lately. Attached is the pic of it @1%.

Reaction score
Firefox is using more than 3 gb of ram by itself. I'm going to say that's a big part of your problem. You're pretty much maxing your ram out, so it uses the hard drive as ram to keep the system from crashing. How many tabs do you have open in firefox??? I'd suggest giving chrome a shot, and see if that helps.

edit: I can't even replicate firefox using that much ram. With 15 tabs open, and playing a youtube video, I'm only using 2 gb

Last edited:
Reaction score
You can close tabs in Firefox to lower the memory used. You can also expand the pointer to Firefox and right click and select "End task" on one or more of the listings for those pages. It will probably do the same thing if you use Chrome on those sites.

My system uses around 390 MB for this forum with 5 instances running so you may have one which is using quite a bit more.

Reaction score
So, I've just been watching and taking pics for the past couple of days. I only usually have 2 tabs open in firefox, 4 at the utmost. I am usually on pogo.com playing games.....would that site affect it? that much? (It never has before). I closed firefox and shutdown, restarted and opened IE (I tried my chrome but it never loaded). It was fine at first, but then it started peaking too. I've taken several snipits, and there is always something different at the top...sometimes it's "system" and "Avast" and many others, so I'm not really sure it's the browser at all. Yesterday, just after opening the laptop, I took a snipit, and again today. Both time my disk was up but different processes were at the top. (and NO browser was opened.) So, since I'm unfortunately not a techie, I guess I have two choices..... take it somewhere and have it fixed, or what about resetting the laptop to factory settings? I hate to do that, but I can't continue to deal with this issue. Just curious your thoughts on resetting. Thanks all!!!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
How much physical memory (RAM) is installed??
Do you have 32 or 64 bit version of Windows 10 installed?

Reaction score
Your attachments show some strange numbers. In the first one you are using 50 MB/s + and only showing 95% disk usage. The second one only seems to show approx. 2 MB/s and 100% disk. If there is nothing showing with the higher disk usage, something you are not seeing is using the disk.

The resource monitor may give other processes using the disk or perhaps you need another monitoring program which is easy to get and is from a wing of Microsoft. But the memory situation is still an issue you may need to look at if you have the ability to increase that.

Ask a Question