SOLVED Last Night's Windows 10 Anniversary Update dumped my Quickbooks Company File 8-4-2016

Reaction score
I've been using Windows 10 since November of 2015 on my 2 Dell Precision M6800 laptops. Both Machines received a download and of the latest Windows 10 Anniversary update (version 1607) (KB3176929) overnight. This morning, I have to restart the machines and waited for them to complete the installation. After that process was completed, I rebooted the machines, and discovered the following 2 major issues:

1. My QuickBooks Company File (.qbw) has been completely wiped off my computer. Neither I or QuickBooks tech support was able to locate the file anywhere in my system.

2. The 2 machines were networking together prior to the update and since the update, I was no longer able to maintain the networking of the 2 machines. Even though the Network Discovery setting for both machines were set to "ON' and the 'Sharing' functions were turned on.

I have since uninstalled the Windows 10 Anniversary update (version 1607) and rolled back both machines by way of the 'Go back to an earlier build' process. Both machines are now back on Windows 10 to the previous version 1511. I was able to re-establish the networking of the 2 machines. However, the QuickBooks company file is still missing and nowhere to be found.

QuickBooks tech support thought may be the file got moved/placed to a Windows.old folder during the update, but we can't find the Windows.old folder anywhere, both after the update and after I rolled back the update to the previous Window 10 version. They suggested that I reached out to Microsoft tech support.

Unfortunately, after speaking with Microsoft on 3 different calls and with 3 different agents, they all basically told me they 'DO NOT’ support any third party program that’s installed on my machines and there is nothing they can do for me. (Even though the files was dumped during the latest Windows 10 update).

I ended up having to reload the Quickbooks.qbw file that I had backed up from a week ago. The down side is that I now have to renter a week’s worth of business data into Quickbooks (invoices, billing, labor hours etc..)

Has anyone experienced anything like I did as a result of the Windows 10 Anniversary Update?

I have since turned off the ‘Windows Automatic Update’ function until I know this will not happen again in future update.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
I can't open QB files for 2011. My host machine hasn't updated yet. I'm restoring my build now so I can have network access.

Reaction score
I can't help with missing files, however the Anniversary Update prevented me from opening any QuickBooks company files with earlier versions of QuickBooks (2007, 2010, 2013, etc.) unless the company file had a QuickBooks password. There is no way to add a password to the company file if you can't launch QB, so I uninstalled the Anniversary Update and all was back to working fine again with older company files with the previous version of Windows 10. I maintain accounting records for several small companies and organizations and must maintain versions of QB that are compatible with my clients versions. They have no need to upgrade to QB 2016 as many do not use payroll or other features. Unless I can find a workaround or fix to the Anniversary Update, I will be stuck with never being able to upgrade Windows any further.

Note: I was able to open company files with QB 2010 Pro IF the company file already had a QB password assigned to it.

Reaction score
I can't help with missing files, however the Anniversary Update prevented me from opening any QuickBooks company files with earlier versions of QuickBooks (2007, 2010, 2013, etc.) unless the company file had a QuickBooks password. There is no way to add a password to the company file if you can't launch QB, so I uninstalled the Anniversary Update and all was back to working fine again with older company files with the previous version of Windows 10. I maintain accounting records for several small companies and organizations and must maintain versions of QB that are compatible with my clients versions. They have no need to upgrade to QB 2016 as many do not use payroll or other features. Unless I can find a workaround or fix to the Anniversary Update, I will be stuck with never being able to upgrade Windows any further.

Note: I was able to open company files with QB 2010 Pro IF the company file already had a QB password assigned to it.
Thanks for the info. You are saying files with passwords still worked, correct? I'll try adding a password (it's a 2 user system in home so no password was used) and see what happens. The host machine updated yesterday and of course I couldn't open the file.

Reaction score
Have same problem since the Anniversary Edition upgrade - QB 2011 Pro won't open. Need it for month end report and invoicing. VERY frustrating thanks to MS. Will look at other forums for answers, but likely go back to the earlier WIN version where QB worked fine.

Ask a Question