Latest office update 15.0.4849.1003 causes a problem with the word editor for Office 2013 64 bit

Reaction score
When using the equation editor for word, If I insert a manual break at a plus or minus sign the use the next character for < and then save the file. When I come back there is also a break at the < sign. I have tried repair quick and full and attempted to revert to an earlier update with no luck. I have contacted Microsoft support but will not hear but from them until Saturday. I had to create the PDF to show the problem

Attachments

• term3.pdf
    84.5 KB · Views: 408

Regedit32

Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't know enough about Equation Editor to offer any practical solution to the specific issue.

I do know though that here in New Zealand the preferred software for scientific and/or mathematical composing and editing is LaTeX which is far superior to Equation Editor.

You might want to try it out some time: https://www.latex-project.org/

Reaction score
More investigation appears that it is not a problem with the update. Tried another version with the same results. It appears that if you insert a manual break at perhaps a + sign immediately followed by other characters which include ">" additional manual breaks occur spontaneously. If after the "+" sign you use a space before adding the other characters, the problem does not occur. I don't think this fixes the problem but is a simple way of getting around it. Yes I agree that LaTeX is the standard but there is a learning curve which I have not had the time to apply.

Ask a Question