Linux bootloader failed - now unable to reach windows 10

Reaction score
Hi folks. For 25 years I have been able to dual boot between linux and windows. Recently I installed Debian 12 on one of my windows computers. The boot loader failed, now I am only able to boot debian 12, and the grub bootloader has changed since I installed it the last time, some years ago,and I do not know how to fix it. . I am lost and I sincerely wish to get rid of this Debian 12. is there a way to create a bootable usb-key to re-install the windows boot system? for advanced people: I got the option to install the boot loader grub with bios compatilibty or force UEFI compatibility. they recommended bios compatibligy , in order to be able to load other OS/s , so I did chose this. by the way, they did not even recognize win10, they called it vista. jesus christ. please give me a clue, I used rufus to format the usb-key with debian .iso, there must be a similar windows file to transfer, or am I wrong?

Reaction score
On a working Windows computer, go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 , scroll down and download the Media Creation tool. Find it in your Downloads folder, double-click it and it will walk you through the process of creating a bootable USB stick that can be used to repair or reinstall Windows. Please be advised that everything on the USB stick will be erased.

Ben

Reaction score
hello - I lost 200 gb of data, because I got scared and tried to recover the boot record with lenovo rescue discs (from another lenovo). Result: I was not even able to boot windows with the usb-key, made bootable as described by Ben. The reason: windows 10 could not install on a system with a MBR (master boot record).
However: Debian 12 could be installed - woaww! Now I have to start from scratch, but the fault was entirely mine: from a linux system you are able to read windows partition - as far as I know not the other way round.
sad story. the lesson to be learned : stay calm, do not panic. I did panic and lost data, if I had not paniced, I would today have had access to my 200 GB of windows data.
PLEASE LEARN FROM THIS LESSON EVERYBODY READING THIS - DO NOT REMAKE MY MISTAKE, DO NOT PANIC, BUT THINK BEFORE YOU ACT - - --- this is good advice for everybody-------

Ask a Question