SOLVED Many of my folders/files became inaccessible, I'm not permitted :(

Reaction score
Take for instance this image file. When trying to open it I get this:
Code:
"It looks like you don't have permission to view this file. Check the permissions and try again."

Then I go to the Properties, Security tab, Advanced, Permissions:
Code:
"You must have Read permissions to view the properties of this object. Click Continue to attempt the operation with administrative permissions."

Then I click Continue:
Code:
"You do not have permission to view this object's security properties, even as an administrative user.
To try taking ownership of the object, which includes permission to view its properties, click Change above."

So I click in "Change", then in the next window, under "Enter the object name to select:", I enter the email address I am using to login to this pc, and hit the "Check Names" button, and the OK button. I try to open that file again, to no avail. It is still telling me that I don't have the permissions to see it.
I know this has to do with recent Windows 10 updates, because these are files I have had for over 10 years now, and I never had a problem backing them up. Until now, all of a sudden they are not my files. Go figure!

The MS Installation Key Number is under my name, same as the bill for the computer. I am the only Administrator.
There's 2 other accounts (Unknown), I have no idea about them. Unless they are my wife's and daughter's accounts.
The last one helps Windows Media Player to share its library with network.
By the way, my account at the top, was not here in this list before. I had to manually enter it.

clam1952 from Ten Forums was saying that in some cases accessing a Windows drive using Linux can cause permissions issues. And it so happens that I have done that (I have a dual boot system).

I know the files are not corrupt, I can still access them from Linux just fine. It's just when I'm in Win10 due to all that issue about the permissions situation.
2ffat from Tek-Tips says he thinks that my registry got corrupt, and it won't be easy to fix it.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance guys

Attachments

• filewinprops.JPG
    filewinprops.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 392
Reaction score
Hi drpeppercan,

if you don't need the other accounts that you mentioned, delete them first and then make sure you are the only user on the PC. What version of W10 do you have?, have you recently upgraded to version 1809 because that is causing headaches for some!. ;););)

Reaction score
2ffat from Tek-Tips was advising a similar solution.
Someone else was suggesting that this problem may have something to do with my accessing the same Windows drive using a Linux drive (I have a dual boot system).
Before I get into that I'll see what the MS Windows community can advise. You see, I don't want to take this lightly.

Fortunately I have 1803. Good thing is, updating to 1809 is not an automatic update, it's manual.

Thank you so much for your advise Wolfie :)

Reaction score
Hi,

what version of Linux are you using because I have not noticed that problem with my dual installs of Winblows and Linux (Ubuntu based). :)

Have you tried changing (editing) the properties for your user instance?. :)

Click on the user you want to adjust the permissions for and then edit them, you can also click on the "Advanced" tab at the bottom. ;)
file properties.JPG

Reaction score
Today I found the way to regain access to them again. in the past I had made myself the owner with my Hotmail email address. But I had failed to also add myself to the Permissions list:

143043d1499283131-change-permissions-objects-users-groups-windows-10-a-explicit_and_inherited_permissions.jpg

Now I can open those photos and videos again.

Still it's an inconvenience because I only know how to do it "one at the time", and they could be over a hundred still to fix :(

Garyw, Thanks a million for that link! That's exactly what I need. Hopefully I will also find how to fix all the files at once, and permanently too!

Reaction score
Hi drpeppercan,

glad to hear it is fixed, please mark as solved so it helps others. :):):)

Ask a Question