Microsoft account enforcement during installation AND/OR registration?

Reaction score
I am planning to install Windows 10 Pro the first time manually from scratch.
All the new computers before had a Windows 10 pre-installed.

In general the Windows 10 Pro installation requires a Microsoft account.
I want to avoid this by temporarily disabling Internet access.
In this case only a local account is created.
As far as I know this trick still works.

Now some questions:

At first I want to download the 30-days Windows 10 Pro ISO and install it.
Later (in a few weeks) I want to register Windows 10Pro with an officially bought license key.
Do I normally need the Microsoft account only during installation or only during registration?
or both?

Are automatic (security) Updates working with a local account only?

Thank you
Claudia

Reaction score
Hello clsven,

Yes, security and other Microsoft products will update once you are connected to the web. You can, of course, create a local account anytime if you used your Microsoft account to install the software.

Lee

Reaction score
It's no big deal just don't sign into microsoft if you don't want to I have 2 different accounts and also google which I only use when I want to its really no big deal if you keep microsoft stuff at an arms length. Your license also has to match the version of win 10 you install I bought a disc with a licence and install from that get the redistration stuff in the bios then just upgrade to the newest software in win 10.

Reaction score
In general the Windows 10 Pro installation requires a Microsoft account.
I want to avoid this by temporarily disabling Internet access.
No, you dont need to disable internet access.
Last time I did a reinstall, around 6 months ago, it was the usual stuff that Microsoft does everything to force you to accept all there shit, but in very small tiny text there is an option to skip (or something similar like "not now" or "later") register an MS account. After skipping that you get the option to create a local account.

And then it goes on with all the crap MS wants to add on your PC, but just choose skip all the time and you are set to go with a fairly "clean" windows install :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you want to install windows 10 without creating an MS acct, skip the part where you connect to the internet. Just click the link that says you don't have internet. Then once it is logged in to windows 10 you can connect to the internet. It will ask you if you want to set it up say no.

Ask a Question