Microsoft print to PDF only provides PRN file

Reaction score
Hi

Microsoft print to PDF only provides PRN file, and I have the correct port, I have disabled and then re-enbled it in Features, even done a reinstall through Media Create for Windows, but still no joy. I have also looked at all articles on the web about this issue to no availe.

Are there any Registry entries that I can look at, or other suggestions !

Reaction score
Just now tried to Print to PDF this page, got several choices in File, Print. PRN is not one of them.
Windows 10 Pro Version 22H2 Build 19045.2604

1677591413040.png

HIstorically the PRN was usually available along with LPT on the computers with the 25-pin parallel or printer port. Haven't worked with one of those printers in a number of years, things started changing with Windows 95 [1995] and the PrntScrn key sent the print job to the Clipboard.

Reaction score
Well, the issue occurs when you select "Microsoft Print to PDF" and you want a PDF but all you get is a .prn:

prn0.png

Click on "Print":

prn1.png

prn2.png

As you can see, there is no way to select a PDF as output.

Reaction score
Just checked on my Win11 Pro Notebook and same result as on my Win10 Desktop. I failed to mention I'm using Firefox, would wonder if a different Browser is the issue.

Reaction score
Microsoft 365 for business. It is also not limited to word, the same happens if I try to use Microsoft Print to PDF from Adobe or other programs.

Reaction score
Do keep in mind that most Windows-based programs take their cue as to the Default printer set in the Devices and Printers app although the program's Print can be changed for specific documents as desired.

Reaction score
Exactly, so the problem will likely be with the Microsoft Print to PDF driver/setup. I have disabled and re-enabled it, clean with restarts etc. but the problem remains. I also verified the correct port.

Reaction score
None of my Win10 and Win11 computers have the PRN listing as a printer type.

Reaction score
It is not a printer type. The printer is "Microsoft Print to PDF" and when you actually try to "print" you get a .prn file, not a PDF.

Reaction score
Seems to me the issue is down to possible file corruption in Windows. If it were mine I'd run sfc /scannow to check and possibly repair.

Reaction score
My original issue still exist as above. The Windows 10 use to allow print to PDF via the print service (not just .prn) with all my printers that I have installed, but no longer. I have done a Windows Media upgrade, checked and installed and reinstalled services, rebooted, and many other searcg suggestion. There's either a Microsoft change or more likely a Registry issue, and here I have no experience.

Has anyone got help here as these pointers in the registry that are use to drive all things in Windows.

Reaction score
Yes, the Registry is what Windows uses to know how to run things, consists of 5 text files known as Hives. Problems in it are sometimes easy to fix but a wrong step in it will essentially kill Windows. I've had issues in the past with Windows Update wanting to give me files for an HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Series printer but it had been replaced by a 9010 Series couple years earlier. Even though all software for both had been uninstalled I ended up manually editing the Registry to remove all entries for the 8600, took awhile as there were over 20 to delete. Then I reinstalled the 9010 drivers and the HP software called HP Smart. Maybe a Search for PRN will give some clues. Since hardware and software is involved there may be entries in all 5 Hives. Be sure to backup or Export in Regedit first.

Reaction score
Have just tried the suggestion that you just put PDF as the extension when sent it via "Print to PDF" printer, and that works.

So I guess this is the only way until Microsoft gets its shit together and fixes the issue.

Ask a Question