Migrate Windows 20 system to new hardware.

Reaction score
My 6 year old laptop developed severe problems with several motherboard components. With no good option to get a motherboard replacement . Since my Windows 10 was a preinstall, It is not transferable. I have a system backup of it which I propose restoring on a new PC hardware. I then could purchase OEM W10 Home key to put on the new PC. Does anyone see any issues with this plan? I do realize I'll have to deal with license transfer issues for applications that are CPU dependent.

Does anyone see any technical or license reasons this will not work as described? Thanks in advance for your comments.

Reaction score
An alternate solution? If having to buy replacement hardware/machine I'd look into some of the Refurbished offerings on the Internet such as at www.newegg.com, maybe a Search on Amazon.com. Can get some good buys with Win10 installed and most times a 1-year warranty. Just before the pandemic I got a 12" and a 13" for 159USD and 149USB, both running quite well, wife has the 13" [got them from the defunct TigerDirectB2B].

Since none of my Win10 machines would properly accept Win11 I got a new Notebook in Oct. '21 and a new Desktop in Apr. '22, each less than $700, came with Win10 Pro and free upgrade to Win11 Pro.

An issue with getting Win10 software comes up with Microsoft having stopped some sales of it, partially because of working on Win12. Win10 will reach EOL on Oct. 14, 2025 and no longer getting new features.

Ask a Question