Missing calendar

Reaction score
Hi. After making the mistake of letting my 9 yr old PC die before transferring everything to my new PC I have a minor problem. I cannot recall the name of my previous calendar and need some of the data. The external hard drive backup allowed me to restore most lost data and I've also retrieved and searched the intact old internal drive.
Searching the old drive didn't help. Using "calendar" as a search term also didn't work. Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks for your help,
Arnold

Reaction score
It may help knowing exactly which version of an OS the old computer was running.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
As far as I know, the Windows 10 "Calendar" App is cloud based and a local copy is not stored on your computer anywhere (old hard drive or new)
It's associated with whatever account you are or were using with Windows 10, or
Perhaps a program you were using for your email.....
Microsoft Outlook, Thunderbird (I believe has a calendar plugin), or perhaps a third party product such as Google (gmail) or Yahoo, etc.

There are various methods to backup, make available "offline", publish, share, etc., in the case of most of these available options however you would have had to purposely taken some steps to produce one of these in order to have something locally stored on your computer.

Last edited:
Reaction score
No luck searching for a relevant *.ics file. I had recently stopped into a MSFT store and asked about my calendar issue. The tech. thought it likely the calendar was a cloud based application and hence not searchable. She also said if I signed into the program I'd have the data. However, since I am uncertain which calendar I used this isn't working. It may have been on Office which I'll try to install.

Thanks for everyone's efforts. Maybe the lesson learned is twofold:don't wait too long to replace a dying PC and accept the vulnerability of cloud data.

Arnold

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It may have been on Office which I'll try to install.
IF.... you had Microsoft Office previously installed AND that version of "Office" included Microsoft "Outlook", it is quite possible that all your old email, contacts as well as your calendar is stored in a .pst file.
You may want to have a search of the "old" hard drive or your backup files to see if you have a PST file.
IF so you will still need a copy of Outlook to open it properly.
Beware of any third party programs that might offer to do it for you and make sure that you make a copy of the .pst file before attempting to open it.

Reaction score
You were misinformed by your Microsoft Rep. If you look in the settings - search, you will see that there is an ON/OFF option to search in the Cloud.

Reaction score
Dave, can you give me more specific instructions. Do I search in the old hard drive and for what? The more time I spend on PC,s the more I'm convinced my knowledge base is going downhill.

Thanks

Reaction score
Open Settings
Click the last Item "Search"
On the right, switch ON the item "Windows Cloud search"
But I honestly do not see why any calendars would be in the Cloud, if not already on your hard disk.
Reading your second post - Yes, most certainly search the old drive. That is the most likely possibility. Whilst searching, follow Trouble's suggestion and look for any *.pst files.

Reaction score
Cortana is enabled for Cloud Search and I'll try that. Did try *.pst search on the old hard drive but so far no success. I'll keep at it and let you know if successful.
Thanks for your help.

Ask a Question