Mouse DPI keeps resetting in windows, also does not retain settings after restart

Reaction score
Mouse: Logitech Gaming USB G3 (MX518) Optical Mouse
Mouse driver: Logitech gaming software (latest version)
(In addition I have Wacom WX 12 tablet plugged in)

The computer is relatively new (~3 months), though this problem has persisted since day 1. I'm currently not in a position to want to try clean OS install, though eventually I might have to if the problem persists.

The problem is as follows: Mouse DPI keeps randomly resetting back to default (slow) speed, numerous times a day.
Unless I have set the Logitech Gaming Software to open on startup, the mouse DPI is the default slow speed on system reboot no matter what settings I try to change on windows mouse speed control.

To restore the mouse speed I need to open Logitech Gaming Software and click the mouse pointer settings tab open. This will restore the speed, until it randomly the next time resets back to slow speed. Rinse and repeat...

In my "Devices and Printers" (translation, since my OS is in Finnish), on right clicking my mouse and using Windows Troubleshoot it sometimes gives the error "USB port stopped responding and recovered, fixed". At other times, it gives me the message: "Logitech Gaming USB G3 (MX518) Optical Mouse is an old USB-device that might not work with USB 3.0" and then forward me to plug it into USB 2.0. The thing is, it IS plugged into USB 2.0 panel (In fact, I have tried every USB port on my motherboard (Z170 Pro Gaming) yet the problem persists. Sometimes it might reset speed 5 seconds after I've "fixed it".

I have tried removing the mouse from my devices, as well as the drives, and then reinstalling only for the problem to persist. The retailer from which I bought the computer from suggested clean install, and should that fail, then the problem might be physical, with the motherboard. (As I said, I'd prefer not to perform clean install yet if possible, as I need the computer for work)

Am at my wits end here. At first I thought my mouse was simply incompatible with the new computer (I used to have Win7 before the upgrade) so I bought Razer Mamba as a replacement, but I find it has other issues the logitech mouse doesn't, that makes it uncomfortable to use and it's no better alternative. (Considering it cost me 120€ I should've returned it..)

Any help or troubleshooting is appreciated. I'm not a computer genius and my OS is in Finnish, so I'd ask that any troubleshooting help be explained like I'm five so that I can understand what to do. Thank you for taking time to address this issue and help.

Reaction score
Perhaps I should note that the issue with the other mouse, Razer Mamba, is similiar. In that it doesn't reset the DPI, but instead the pointer becomes unresponsive and freezes in place for about 10 seconds, before responding again. This can happen multiple times in a row.

That said, the mouse buttons work and respond, even if the pointer itself doesn't. I do have the latest drivers for this mouse as well, and I've tried to clean its laser tracking pad etc.

Reaction score
I performed clean OS install, reinstalled mouse drivers first and started to reinstall other programs. Problem persists. I also tried all my USB ports (2.0 and 3.0 versions) and it doesn't make a difference.

Does this mean that the problem might be physical and with the motherboard or something else entirely? I suppose it could also be win 10, as none of the other hardware plugged through USBs have any connectivity problem. (the mouse never had this issue in Win7; though it had a different motherboard).

I also tried to download all the latest hardware drivers, though many of the 3rd party programs for it seem a bit sketchy at best.

Any advice or help is still appreciated... thanks.

Reaction score
Took the computer back to the retailler to have them check it, but they couldn't pinpoint any specific reason for the resets. They thought it was an odd and perhaps even unique problem that the dpi resets "live" all the time, but they weren't able to determine what causes it. All they did was reinstall the software drivers.

For couple of days after I got the computer back, the problem didn't manifest itself, but now its back and as annoying as ever. In the mean time I haven't installed any new software or programs.

If anyone has any idea, the help would be welcome.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
now its back and as annoying as ever. In the mean time I haven't installed any new software or programs.
All they did was reinstall the software drivers.
Check the properties of the problem device in device manager and look at the driver tab and see if the button to Rollback the driver is available.

Reaction score
Unfortunately it is not. Thanks though.
I suspect if that was an option, having had reinstalled Windows would've solved it. Granted, it might be a problem with the mouse, but what baffles me is that the brand new mouse, (Razer Mamba) also has similar type of issues. (as outlined above).

Ask a Question