Need help with a very strange (and frustrating) network problem

Reaction score
My Win10 desktop crashed while I was watching a movie, and upon restarting, I noticed that both the ethernet and wifi icons on the taskbar had both disappeared, that my network list was gone, and that I could no longer connect to the internet by any means. When opening the Network settings app, I noticed that my Network Status was completely gone: not "no connection available" or "limited" or anything of the sort, but just blank. Nothing. The troubleshoot option is of no help, as well. However, network adapters are there and do show as "enabled" with the latest drivers downloaded. I then clicked the "Network Reset" tool, which restarted my PC, but still the problem was not fixed. I then went into the Command Prompt and did the whole "net localgroup Administrators /add networkservice" and "localservice," then restarted my PC, but again nothing changed. However, I noticed that when I sign out of my PC, the ethernet icon on the bottom right pops up and warns me that I am connected with limited connectivity, even though when I'm signed in I don't show any status whatsoever. When I unplug the cable (again when I'm signed out of Windows), then my wireless networks show up. When I connect to my wireless network, it also only connects with limited access. When I sign back in, the wireless network list is once again gone.

I apologize if I didn't articulate my issue very coherently, but I'm honestly so baffled by this issue that I don't really know what is going on, where to start explaining it, or how to explain it.

Again, both the wired and wifi connections work fine with all of my other devices. If anyone has any idea what the issue might be, I'm all ears. Have I accidentally disabled something in my startup apps or services maybe that's causing this issue? I honestly just don't know anymore.

Reaction score
You might try an in place upgrade with the latest ISO from MCT, let MCT created a install USB then run the Setup.exe while in windows be sure to select to keep you files and settings.etc

If you have a Back up Image created before the issue started of your OS drive/SSD restore that image

Ask a Question