SOLVED New Windows update leads to black screen.

Reaction score
Hi! Last night I updated Windows 10 to the most recent version. While it was updating the screen cut to black but the computer was still on. After it was black for a while and I couldn't do anything I shut my computer down. After turning it on again everything goes fine, first the boot menu then the little Windows symbol loading screen. But after that it cuts to black with no cursor. I have tried numerous things to fix this and this is as far as i have gotten.

I have learned that this is an issue with my monitors drivers being out of date and my computer thinking that I have a dual monitor setup and choosing the no existent 2nd monitor. So when blindly logging in and trying the Windows and P solution it didn't work. (I knew that is was triggering beacuase the narrorator turned on when pressing Windows and P for some reason).

Once when messing with boot options it started and noticed something was wrong and brought me to the recovery screen. I closed it beacause I didn't want to do a recover then and I didn't know what safe boot is ( I heard that a safe boot might help me idk) I would try and get back there but I haven't been able to replicate it.

Thanks for the help if you need extra info just ask. I'm open to suggestions. (Btw screw this widows update)

Reaction score
I'm going to sleep if you have anything I will get to it early tommorow so don't get axious waiting for a reply like I do. Thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK.......
So what is your current situation?
It sounds to me like you may have not given your computer enough time to finish the upgrade.
When you turn it on and the screen is "black", do you see any hard disk activity as indicated by the hard drive activity light (if present)?
IF it is steadily flashing then I would suggest letting it sit until that activity subsides and see if that affords any progress.

IF it is your GPU driver then yes..... safe mode or safe mode with networking will likely provide a working environment from which you can remove the problem device from device manager and reboot.

You may need to acquire the latest ISO from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sof...459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-WaTVja5C7z2Vs7q82apCPg)()
Assuming a second working computer, you can then create installation media from that
Choose Windows 10, the first item in the first drop down (not single language at the bottom) * see note at bottom.
Next choose your language and your bit version (32 or 64 bit to match your system architecture or in the case of an upgrade, to match your currently installed version of Windows).
That will provide an ISO that will boot, upgrade, repair (or clean install) either or both Windows 10 Pro and Home.
Within Windows 10 you can just double click the ISO file to mount it as a virtual drive and run setup.exe from that virtual drive to perform the in-place / upgrade / repair.
*NOTE: In some cases, we've learned that some people have the "Single Language" version installed. In which case you would need that download. It's important that you match the ISO version that you download with your installation.

When you've managed to boot from the installation media you need to click the Repair Your PC link on the second page after the Choose a Language and Keyboard layout page.
That should get you to the Advanced Troubleshooting options, from there you can try some of the utilities like
Startup Settings to see if you can boot to Safe Mode or Safe Mode with networking.

Screen3.JPG

Reaction score
OK.......
So what is your current situation?
It sounds to me like you may have not given your computer enough time to finish the upgrade.
When you turn it on and the screen is "black", do you see any hard disk activity as indicated by the hard drive activity light (if present)?
IF it is steadily flashing then I would suggest letting it sit until that activity subsides and see if that affords any progress.

IF it is your GPU driver then yes..... safe mode or safe mode with networking will likely provide a working environment from which you can remove the problem device from device manager and reboot.

You may need to acquire the latest ISO from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sof...459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-WaTVja5C7z2Vs7q82apCPg)()
Assuming a second working computer, you can then create installation media from that
Choose Windows 10, the first item in the first drop down (not single language at the bottom) * see note at bottom.
Next choose your language and your bit version (32 or 64 bit to match your system architecture or in the case of an upgrade, to match your currently installed version of Windows).
That will provide an ISO that will boot, upgrade, repair (or clean install) either or both Windows 10 Pro and Home.
Within Windows 10 you can just double click the ISO file to mount it as a virtual drive and run setup.exe from that virtual drive to perform the in-place / upgrade / repair.
*NOTE: In some cases, we've learned that some people have the "Single Language" version installed. In which case you would need that download. It's important that you match the ISO version that you download with your installation.

When you've managed to boot from the installation media you need to click the Repair Your PC link on the second page after the Choose a Language and Keyboard layout page.
That should get you to the Advanced Troubleshooting options, from there you can try some of the utilities like
Startup Settings to see if you can boot to Safe Mode or Safe Mode with networking.

View attachment 4034

Ok I finally got to safe boot mode (normal not networking) In the divice manager my monitors drivers were messed up during the update. When I try and update it is up to date and there is no roll back, so the only choice is to unistall it.

My only question is, when I unistall it should I simply restart my computer wait for the driver to install itself or should I get the driver on a CD and use that.

Thank you for the help ( because you were wondering the problem wasn't me stoping the update early it was the update conflicting and messing with the monitors drivers) (my monitor is a S22E310)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It's going to boil down to your GPU (video card) and the drivers that are available for it.
Normally I would suggest that you get the latest driver from the actual hardware manufacturer's support website and install those after using something like
Display Driver Uninstaller http://www.wagnardmobile.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=592#p1356
To totally remove the current one.
In the case of laptop computers you are often better off getting the driver for your specific system from the computer manufactuer, rather than the hardware manufacturer.

Reaction score
After everything was unistalled I reastarted and everything is working great! Thanks for all the help I needed it.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad to hear it.
Here's hoping that another update doesn't come along bringing more grief with it.

Ask a Question