SOLVED office 2013 Outlook can't open emailed excel file after windows 10 upgrade

Reaction score
Outlook & Excel 2013 (not 365) cannot open emailed excel file after windows 10 upgrade. states file is corrupt cannot open. worked fine before. Had another open same file on their windows 7 it worked fine.

I can open excel files that are already in my computer

FFG

Reaction score
same problem started with me today (upgraded on 29 July)

Some files open ok, some won't. I thought it may be .xls that won't open and .xlsx open ok, but some .xlsx don't open either. Now scared to open and save any of my existing files in case it corrupts them.

Have been having permissions problems, that I thought I'd solved, but maybe that's caused the problem.

Reaction score
how can I find permissions in windows 10? I asked in Cortana but no help nor web searching. I knew in win 7 but lost now. Thank YOU,

FFG

Reaction score
how can I find permissions in windows 10? I asked in Cortana but no help nor web searching. I knew in win 7 but lost now. Thank YOU,
Right-click on the file or folder, then select Properties.
It's on the Security tab.

I'm finding that the permissions are all correct for the profile I'm in, but there's a new user which starts as a jumble of numbers when the screen first opens but then settles down to something like HomeUsers (I believe I'm on the Home edition). That doesn't have Full Access or Modify ticked. I tick Full Access and lots of my problems are solved (but not all, and I still find some Excel files think they are corrupt).

Warning though - I have to do this same Permissions change every time it reboots.

Reaction score
No success.

I did need to set permissions in one of my users but it didn't help opening Word or Excel attachments. Heck I even emailed myself an Excel doc from my own computer and it will not open in the same computer using the same outlook. still says file is corrupt.

So any other suggestions how to get attachments to open when received in emailed?

this issue began immediately upon upgrade to Windows 10. :-(

Reaction score
I found the answer from similar question in another forum:

Within Excel (and word), navigate to File->Options->Trust Center. Click on the Trust Center Settings... button. Under the Protected View pane, un-check all of the boxes. Close Excel and try opening up your attached file.

hours and hours of time lost! thank you MS for actually getting the kinks out PRIOR to publication.

FFG

Reaction score

Within Excel (and word), navigate to File->Options->Trust Center. Click on the Trust Center Settings... button. Under the Protected View pane, un-check all of the boxes. Close Excel and try opening up your attached file.

hours and hours of time lost! thank you MS for actually getting the kinks out PRIOR to publication.

@gc100 - Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So much time wasted on this. Just about to roll back mainly due to this issue. Only need to find out how to get my permissions to stay ticked so I can access my own Documents folder and Windows 10 might actually be worth keeping!

Reaction score
FFG
only suggestion I have is be sure you click ok at the end of the process. I failed to write that in my answer above. Don't just close the window. good luck.

Reaction score

thanks. this is a big help!

Ask a Question