PLEASE HELP: Upgraded Win 8.1 to 10. A week later laptop crashes and stuck in reboot/repair cycle.

Reaction score
As described above, I upgraded my Laptop (Asus F550C, everything as I bought it with regards to the specs) to Windows 10. All worked fine for a week, and then while busy on the computer, everything freezes, I do a hard reboot as nothing responds. Then computer doesn't reboot. and get a message along the lines of "Diagnosing your PC's problems". After a while I get this:
2015-08-11.jpg

After a night of this, and a few reboots later as well as this message:
2015-08-11.jpg

I eventually get to one of these screens:
2015-08-11.jpg
2015-08-11.jpg

Now I downloaded the Windows 10 Media tool in the hope of creating a bootable USB drive to select at Use a Device.
When this works, it eventually gives me the following options:
2015-08-11.jpg

If I select upgrade, I get this:
2015-08-11.jpg

If I select Custom, I eventually this:
2015-08-11.jpg

(though I don't know the product key because I upgraded) and then this:
2015-08-11.jpg

I don't know where to install to, as I was only aware of two partitions.

I also attempted to "Reset this PC". There I get two options. 1. to keep all my personal info and settings, or 2. To wipe everything clean.
If I try to keep everything, this happens:
2015-08-11.jpg

If I try to reset and wipe, this happens:
2015-08-11.jpg

Eventually I can get to this:
2015-08-11.jpg

Now, I have tried the following:
1. System Restore - Once clicked it says: "No restore points have been created on your computer's system drive. To create a restore point, open system protection".
2. System Image Recovery - Tried to have it recover from the USB image, but will only allow it to recover from a DVD.
3. Start-up Repair - Does nothing only cycles back to this blue screen.
4. UEFI Firmware Settings - The only thing I did here was to try and start Windows 10 in Safe Mode with Networking, but it just got stuck in the Reboot/Repair Cycle and does nothing eventually.
5. Go back to the previous build - PC does not pick up a previous build so it does nothing.

The only thing I didn't try here was the Command Prompt as I would have no idea what to do there once I got in.

I have a feeling that I would need to do a clean install, but I don't want to screw the system up even further if I could prevent it.
At this stage, I am willing to loose every bit of personal info on this laptop if I can just get the damn thing to work. (Getting MS Office back will be a bit of an issue, but it is better than not having a functioning PC at all.)

Can anyone please help me and tell me where I might be able to clean install Windows 10 (or 8 or 8.1 for that matter). Please, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
All worked fine for a week, and then while busy on the computer, everything freezes, I do a hard reboot as nothing responds.
This could be an indication of a failing / faulty hard disk. While rare it's not impossible.

If you have the means to remove the drive and attach it to another computer to run Check Disk on it, that might provide some information going forward.

IF not then you should consider at least obtaining a Linux Distro Live CD to boot your computer and copy off any critical data onto another hard disk or external USB device.

IF, as you have said, you had Windows 10 installed and running for a week, I will assume that it has been activated on that machine and you should be able to perform a clean install of Windows 10 without entering (as a matter of fact do not enter) any product key when prompted, simply choose skip or do this later or whatever bypass wording is present on the screen.

Now....
To perform a clean install on a UEFI / GPT computer you will need media that is formatted properly and configured to support such an install.
First get a clean new version of the appropriate ISO from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
Then use Rufus to create your installation media from that ISO. Get it here http://rufus.akeo.ie/ it's free and portable (no installation).
Use this image to configure Rufus to create the proper media for the install.

Rufus.JPG

Please be aware that this will only leave you with Windows 10 installed.
All programs and data will be gone and practically irretrievable, and......
If your previous installation was not activated it is not going to actually help much in the long run.

Reaction score
I am currently trying to install via the USB drive, It goes into setup quite easily, but it seems to be stuck on "Copying Windows files (0%)".

If there is no progress, I will go and buy a blank DVD today and do it as you suggested above. Thanks for all the help.

Reaction score
I tried the writing the ISO to the USB via Rufus, as suggested above, this was the result:
win10 install.JPG

I also wrote the ISO to a DVD, but when I select the DVD, the laptop restarts, tried to boot from the disc and says that it can't boot because some boot info is missing...

What now? I can't even write the windows install to the usb...

Reaction score
Sounds to me like you have a bad ISO.

I think you are right. Went back and saw the size of the file didn't look right. Tried another 8 times to download the ISO file, but it just doesn't complete.

Does anyone know of a safe torrent from where I can download the file? It seems like the only way I will be able to get the full file.

Reaction score
I was similarly stuck in an Automatic Repair loop several weeks after installing Windows 10, and tried many of the suggested fix options, including System Reset and System Restore, none of which worked. Finally, I went into the System Startup Settings tab and selected "disable early launch malware protection" (or something like that, I can't remember the exact title) and it worked. The computer started up fine after that, and none if my data was lost.

Reaction score
I get to the Startup Settings, the hit restart and it sends me back to the repair loop without having an option to disable anything or even another menu. Any Ideas?

I go from

IMG_0742.jpg

click startup settings then go to

IMG_0743.jpg

I only have the option to restart and go back into the same loop leading me to the advanced options screen again

jdg

Reaction score
I just went through the same thing for the second time and again had to reset the computer and basically start over. Getting real tired of this now.

Ask a Question