SOLVED Powershell

Reaction score
I have been reading a bit about Powershell. Some articles have indicated this is the replacement for batch files.
I was wondering if any of the readers have any comments on Powershell, because my very humble opinion is, it doesn't hold a candle to the ease of batch file system.
Powershell looks to extremely powerful for computer managers, but for regular home users like me, batch files are so much easier.
As I have indicated, I am just a home user and far from being a professional so don't jump on me.
Comments? :)

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
No....Powershell is the replacement for CMD prompt pane. So right now there are both on your system....well in 1709. In 1803 just powershell is showing but you can still access the CMD in the search window.

Reaction score
I am constantly messing with my computers, so may have a different configuration.
Right clicking the Start menu icon shows me the Command prompt, still. I dont recall altering anything there?
As far as I am aware, Power shell still remains a background option. You can make it permanent, using the method I mentioned, by going into settings - Personalisation and selecting the taskbar.
There is, in the drop list there, an option to replace the Command prompt with the Power Shell prompt.
As Bassfisher says, though, in no way are either, replacements for a batch (Dos script) file.

Reaction score
PowerShell does replace Command Prompt [both choices] on the right-click of the Start button but Command Prompt can still be used, good for some things. I open it using Search, Command Prompt then when open right-click the icon on the Taskbar and choose Pin to Taskbar. Then I have both available. I believe a tutorial has been published on the other Win10 Forum about changing it back to the Start menu.

Reaction score
"PowerShell does replace Command Prompt [both choices] on the right-click of the Start button"
Just had a look at my wife's, unadorned, unmodified, Windows 10 Pro. to confirm.

Only, as I said if you have configured it in the options to do so. My wife's computer still only shows the Command prompts.
Anyway, I think the OP has had his answer.

Reaction score
No, the power shell was supposed to replace the command prompt in 1803. It did on all five of my Windows 10 machines.

Reaction score
Ok Accepted. I now have to investigate and find out why not on any of the machines I "caretake"

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Mine was replaced as well.....I just have powershell in the power menu or what ever it's called when your right click the start menu.

pwsh.PNG

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I now have to investigate and find out why not on any of the machines I "caretake

Just guessing here....but it might be do to what OS was previously being used. Where any of your systems running 7 or 8 and upgraded to 10?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I was wondering if any of the readers have any comments on Powershell, because my very humble opinion is, it doesn't hold a candle to the ease of batch file system.

I thought the same, until I tried using Powershell after @Regedit32's article series:

https://www.windows10forums.com/articles/categories/powershell-tutorials.5/

I'm a total convert now - it's so, so much more powerful. It's also a lot easier to use when you want to do something a little more complex. Batch scripting could accomplish most things, but Powershell can do almost anything - it's amazing :).

This site is automatically upgraded (via FTP and a web interface), all thanks to a simple powershell script. I just run it whenever there is an update and it fetches the necessary patches and updates the site in a matter of minutes :).

Take a look at the first couple of tutorials on the link above and give it a whirl - I really enjoy using it.

Reaction score
Thinking (Always dangerous for me!) I manage my families (three generations) computers. I believe it is possible that, during the setup of 1803 from a fresh install, I might have bypassed, or changed, the option to have Powershell replace the Command prompt - less questions for me from my family lol.
I dont recall positively doing it, but I dont recall many things these days.

Reaction score
I still have PowerShell in the start menu. I performed a clean install but as @davehc mentioned, during the install I selected not to replace CMD prompt with PowerShell.

Ask a Question