Pre-owned PC boots to other user login

Reaction score
Purchased a pre-owned custom built gaming computer yesterday. Watched it turn on and run before purchase. Now it only boots to login screen that says other user. I've tried doing a restart to safe mode and tried factory resetting from there. With either option the PC just gets stuck restarting and won't pull up any screen. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If it's a hardware issue I'll contact the seller but I don't think it is after having seen it run for half an hour previously.

Thanks

Reaction score
IF the 'other' user has administrative rights you should be able to create a new User with Administrative Rights, preferably assign a password, log out of the 'other' user or reboot and have a screen with both. Log into the new one you created then you can remove the 'other' user choosing to keep or delete its files.

Reaction score
The account named "Other User" won't let me in to change any settings it wants a password or Microsoft Id

Reaction score
Reaction score
I would reinstall Windows regardless. You have no idea what junk (malware, virus', etc) the "other user" has on that PC.

Reaction score
I tried using the media creation tool, still just boots up to just say other user, can't get to BIOS to change the boot order. Basically can't get anywhere other than the login screen. Tried holding shift and pressing restart to get to advanced settings. Once there if I hit factory reset or to restore to a previous save it will start to reset and never load up all the way.

Reaction score
If you can determine the brand and model of the motherboard, you should be able to access the bios or boot order. Doing a search for "motherboard hot keys" or "motherboard shortcut keys" will return several lists.

Reaction score
It is an Asus motherboard, I have downloaded the manual for it and found the hot key for during boot up was f8. Unfortunately pressing that when turning on the computer just causes it to freeze during start up

Reaction score
My ASUS will work after pressing the I|O switch and usually if I wait until just as the ASUS logo comes on the screen. Usually there's text on the black screen about pressing a key or two for basic functions at which time the key desired is pressed. It's always been about the timing.

Last edited:

Ask a Question