SOLVED Print spool not listed in the services list

Reaction score
I just installed Windows 10 in a new computer and when I tried to install my printer (HP Officejet J6480 All-in-One) I got an error message stating that 'The Local print spooler service isn't running'. I checked many forums relating to this issue but I usually got the suggestion to check and start the 'print spool' in the services list. The problem is that 'print spool' isn't showing in the list.
I went through many suggestions over the past three days trying to find a solution to no avail.
One suggestion was to make sure all the updates were installed. However, I have also an error message stating that Windows wasn't able to complete all of the updates every time I restart the PC. Research on various forums would suggest that this is a current issue with Windows 10 and a solution will be available shortly. I didn't find any solution.
This also doesn't allow me to 'Activate Windows' since the updates are required.
Somehow I suspect that these issues are all related to the Windows 10 install.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Ramjetejmar,

Welcome to the forum.

The first thing that came to my mind reading your thread was, 'Where did you look at your list of Services?'

The reason this came to mind was because there are two methods to view Services in GUI format, both of which list the Print Spooler Service slightly differently.

If you right-click your taskbar and select Task Manager, or right-click on Start then left-click on Task Manager, this will open the Task Manager window. Here you can then click on the Services tab.

In the Task Manager (Services tab) GUI the Local Print Spooler service is displayed under the name Spooler

printsp.png

If on the other hand you right-click on Start then left-click on Run and in the Run dialog type services.msc then click OK this opens the Services GUI which displays the Local Print Spooler under a different name; that being Print Spooler

printsp2.png

As you can see from the sample images, depending on where you looked for your Local Print Spooler, you may have not found it because of the name variations. So first, check again to make sure its really not there.

Now, if it truly is not present then this may be because the application (.exe) and library file (.DLL) for this service have somehow become corrupted or are missing altogether. The Registry key associated with the
spooler may also be corrupted.

The two files in question can both be located in the C:\Windows\System32 folder. These are:
  • An Application (.exe) file named spoolsv which is 770 KB in size
  • A Library (.DLL) file named spoolss.dll which is 89 KB in size

By opening File Explorer and navigating to C:\WindowsSystem32 folder you can check to ensure these two files exist. If they are not present then I have attached a compressed folder named spooler files.zip which you can download, virus scan first, then extract and copy the two files inside to your C:\Windows\System32 directory.

If they are present then the question is whether or not they are somehow corrupted.

• One way to check for corruption that may have affected the permissions of the two files is to simply check the Files properties. To do this you need to do the following:
    • Open File Explorer
    • Navigate to C:\Windows\System32 folder
    • Scroll down the list and locate spoolsv
    • Right-click on spoolsv and select Properties which will open the spoolsv Properties window
    • In the spoolsv Properties window click the Advanced button

This will open the Advanced Security Settings for spoolsv window.

At the top of this window take a look at the Owner which should say is TrustedInstaller

Sample image of the two windows just mentioned:

printsp3.png

In the event the Owner is not showing as TrustedInstaller you will need to change this.

To change the Owner name you click the Change link to the right of Owner name.

That will open a small window titled Select User or Group with the cursor inside a big empty box at bottom of window. In this window type NT Service\TrustedInstaller then click the Check Names button. This will then replaced what you typed with TrustedInstaller. Now just click OK to close the window, then click OK to close second window, and finally click OK to close first window.

Sample Image of the three windows

printsp4.png

• Next inside the C:\Windows\System32 folder Scroll further down and locate the spoolss.dll file.
  • Right-click the spoolss.dll file and select Properties
  • In the spoolss,dll Properties window click the Security tab then click the Advanced button
  • Check at top of the Advanced Security Settings for spoolss.dll check the Owner is TrustedInstaller. If it is not then click Change to right of Owner name and as in previous instructions open those three windows and change the name to TrustedInstaller then click OK's to close each of the three windows.

• Finally, you need to verify the Registry Key for Spooler has the correct permissions set, and the various values and subkeys it contains are not corrupted or missing. To do this you will need to open the Registry Editor and check the key:
    • Right-click on Start
    • Left-click on Run
    • In the Run dialog type regedit then click OK
    • A User Account Control window will pop up. Click Yes
    • The Registry Editor will now open and in the left pane you need to expand the keys to the following location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
— SYSTEM
— CurrentControlSet
— Services
Spooler
  • Right-click on the Spooler key in the left pane and select Permissions
  • This will open the Permissions for Spooler window. In this window click the Advanced button
  • This will open the Advanced Security Settings for Spooler window.

At the top of this window check the Owner says its SYSTEM

Sample Images of the two windows just mentioned

printsp5.png

As with the two files you just checked, if this particular window does not show SYSTEM as the Owner then click the Change to right of Owner name and open the three windows as before but this time you'd type System then click the Check Names button which would result in the third window displaying SYSTEM which you can then click OK on each of the three windows to close.
  • Next right-click the Spooler key in the left pane again, but this time select Export
  • This will open the Export Registry File window. In this window:
    1. select Desktop to save to,
    2. and for the name enter Spooler,
    3. then click the Save button

Sample image

printsp6.png

• I've attached a second compressed folder to download named Spooler_COPY.zip
  • Download this compressed folder, Virus scan first, then Extract the folder
  • Inside the extracted folder you will see a file named Spooler_COPY.reg

Right-click on Spooler_COPY.reg and select Edit

Note: An Open File - Security Warning window may pop up. If happens click Run

The content of the file will now open inside a Notepad file. For now just minimize the window.

• Next, locate the Spooler.reg you exported from your own Registry.
  • Right-click on it and select Edit
  • If the Open File - Security Warning appears click Run
  • Now your file will also open in a Notepad
  • Press your Windows key and left arrow together. This will make your notepad take up left half of Desktop space.
  • Next click the Notepad icon in Taskbar and select the Spooler_COPY - Notepad
  • Press your Windows key and right arrow to make this one take up right half of Desktop space

Sample Image

printsp7.png

Simply compare the two files line by line.

If you do spot any variation at all then you will know your Spooler registry key has become corrupted.

In that event, simply right-click the Spooler_COPY.reg file I provided, and select Merge

A User Account Control window will pop up. Click Yes

You will then see two more windows. On the first one click the Yes button and on the second window click the OK button

Sample Image of the next two windows you will see

printsp8.png
Well that is it. If you need to go through all this, when you click that last OK you will have successfully repaired the situation manually. All you need to do now, is shut down your computer. Then Restart the computer for all the changes to take hold.

Regards,

Regedit32

[ EDIT ] If you do discover your permissions on either of the two files or the Registry keu Spooler are incorrect and need changing as per my instructions, I'd highly recommend once you are done performing a full system virus scan, including a scan for rootkits, as a virus or malware infection could be the root of Permission alterations.

Attachments

• spooler files.zip
    362.5 KB · Views: 1,081
  • Spooler_COPY.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 1,068
Reaction score
Hi Regedit32,

First, I would like to thank you for your reply.

I confirm that I have checked both methods for viewing the Print Spooler files as was suggested on a number of other forums I checked. The file Spooler and/or Print Spooler is definitely not there.

I also had a look at the files spoolsv.exe and spools.dll and they are there. However they are showing 738KB and 22KB respectively on my machine. I don’t know if that is relevant but just to let you know.

By the way, comparing both Spooler.reg files, mine is only a few lines so as you suggest, it is likely corrupted.

Finally, I went through all the steps you have outlined and things worked well (as described) until I got to the ‘Merge’ step.

At that point when I clicked on Merge, the notepad file opens but nothing else. The ‘User Account Control’ window doesn’t pop up and so I cannot perform the last two steps.

I'm not sure if I'm missing something in the instructions. At least I now know that my Spooler file is corrupted.

I appreciate your assistance.

Ramjetejmar
(e-mail address removed)

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Ramjetejmar,

Before going further I want to clarify what version of Windows you are using.

You can either type winver in your Run box and click OK to get that information, or click Start > Settings icon > System > in left pane click About

For example is it Windows 10 Home Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.82) - System Type: 64-bit?

Reaction score
Hi Regedit32

Sorry for the delay, I was away for the day. I am using Windows 10 Version 1511 (OS Build 10586,164) - System Type: 64-bit

Ramjetejmar

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Ramjetejmar,

Over the history of the Cumulative Updates for Windows 10 there has been two occasions where Microsoft included updates Local Printer Spool Service drivers and application extensions.

Given the version you are currently on that will explain the file size difference when compared to mine, so that does not particularly concern me.

When you have extracted the zipped folder which contained the REG file for the Spooler key, did you right-click on that REG file and select Merge. It is this action that ought to prompt the User Account Control alert and the other alerts I mentioned previously.

As you are dealing with a System key per se, which has some of the highest privileges the operating system offers, you will need to be merging this file, or manually editing the Spooler key while logged in with Administrative Privileges. Is your current logon status belonging to the Administrative Group?

You said you Registry key was only displaying a few lines when compared to the sample file I sent. Have you at any state had a virus infection or serious malware infection on this computer?

Reaction score
Hi Regedit32,

There is obviously a discrepancy between our two Spooler.reg files. Here is a photo of the two files. Mine being on the left and yours on the right (See attachment Spooler.jpg)

Yes, I did right click on the REG file and select Merge but all that does is open the notepad file. No User Account Control alert window opens up.

I do have the Administrative Privileges as far as I know. I did all the installs and I am the only user of the PC. In the accounts it shows me as Local User - Administrator. However, there is also the issue that is still not resolved which indicates the message "You need to activate Windows before you can personalize your PC" in my account window. This is apparently caused by the problem with not being able to install all the updates from Windows 10. I saw a note on a blog saying that MicroSoft was aware of this problem and was working on a solution. Maybe this is what could stop the User Account Control alert windows to pop up!??!?

To my knowledge I didn't have any virus infection or serious malware infection. I am using Avast and it give me warning messages when something is detected and it is stopped before reaching my PC.

Again, thank you for your assistance and patience

Ramjetejmar

Attachments

• Spooler.jpg
    Spooler.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 1,118
Reaction score
Maybe we should be working on the Elephant in the Room -- Windows Update..

Where did obtain the install media and I assume it came with a License?

Does Event Viewer show any error or Warning messages which might be related to either the Updates or internet access? Are you showing as on a Metered connection?

Have you run the Update Troubleshooter?

Also, is the one printer all you have and is it Wireless or wired?

Reaction score
Hi Saltgrass,

to answer your questions:
I purchased Windows 10 Home edition and it came with a key. There is an issue with the install/updates and a few days after I installed it I was in contact with Microsoft's chat line for over an hour trying to resolve the issue which is that with a restart of my PC, one or more updates will not install. I typically get the message 'Working on Updates - Don't turn off your computer' and then 'We couldn't complete the updates, Undoing changes - Don't turn off your computer'. This also leave a watermark on the lower right corner of the screen 'Activate Windows - Go to Settings to activate Windows'. After many attempt at trying to fix the problem, the Microsoft chat attempted to replace my key with a new one but to no avail. It was left at that and the chat ended.
The programs I have installed appear to be working fine so far except that I have realized after a few days that the printer would not work. After some investigating, I found out that the folder Print Spooler was missing from the Services list.
As for the Event Viewer, I do not know much about it but viewing some of the folders, I can see warning and error messages especially in the DeviceSetupManager and the Administrative Events (full of errors)
I am not on a Metered connection
I did run the Update Troubleshooter and got "Windows Update Components must be repaired - Fixed" but when I restart, I get the same message quoted above.
I only use the one printer, an HP Officejet J6480 All-in-One and it is USB connected at this time.
I hope this answers your questions and thanks for your input.

Ramjetejmar

Reaction score
The Event Viewer can be very helpful is used to it full ability. For instance, it is important to look at the errors and see if they have anything in common, such as when they occur and are those instances tied to some event, such as a reboot or at the times when you are trying to do a Windows Update.

If you double click the error it will open a window which gives specifics about the problem. In cases such as a Device situation, it might give you a number you can use to see exactly what device is having the problem. I don't currently have any Device errors but I had some earlier and updating those devices separately may help, such as a video driver. It might also show some device which could be disconnect and thus remove the requirement for Windows Update to continue trying to update it.

Such a number like the one below for a Nvidia video adapter. You can find these numbers for a device by looking at its properties and go to the Details tab and select Hardware Ids for a Property. If you can't find the correct device, include the number and someone here will be able to give you guidance.

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0FE4&SUBSYS_05B01028&REV_A1

Video ID.JPG

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
this is to let you know that this issue has been resolved. It appears that Microsoft did an automatic update of Windows 10 a few days ago and a number of issues have been resolved including this one (missing Print Spooler). I was able to re-install my HP Officejet printer and it is now working fine.
I with to thank you for your help and I always hope that I won't need it again :)
All the best

Ramjetejmar

Ask a Question