SOLVED Problems intalling 10 on Lenovo g50

Reaction score
I upgraded on Thursday and it took over 5hours. during the process (of course) the Lenovo programs went. Not a great problem but I could not get the win 10 apps, edge, store and window pane search to work. Went down the reinstall route which worked but could not get defender to open. Needing an antivirus I went back to avg and ran a scan which found some items and needed a restart. On restarting I was back to No apps, store, notifications etc. Is it safe to download the windows 10 onto a dvd and try again?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello peter and welcome to the forum.
Is it safe to download the windows 10 onto a dvd and try again?
That is a very difficult question to answer.
At this point I'm not sure anyone can actually say definitively what is safe and what is not when it comes to the upgrade.

The first thing that you should do before proceeding any further is, make every effort to secure your critical data with a backup. A complete system image would be even better. Even an image of a problem system is better than no image at all.

Then I would try creating installation media on DVD or USB thumbdrive and boot from that and attempt some of the repair options offered.

If nothing there works you might try booting back into your system and using the install media to perform an in-place upgrade repair by running setup.exe from the installation media and hope that Windows 10 will install over top of itself fixing the system issues and leaving all your programs, data and drivers in place an unharmed.

Reaction score
Thanks for the assist. I'll copy everything of value, I have copied an image from microsoft and will keep that in hand. I have already used the reimage option in win10 but hope the new dick will overide that. I do have a system image on a separate partition which was put there by lenovo when I bought it, that should be ok I hope. I hope that defender will work this time as it was AVG which screwed up the system last time.

Reaction score
Well, bit the bullet and did a new install, all seems ok now. Defender is working as well as the apps I've tried. Is Defender as good as the usual malware progs superantispyware, reg cleaner, malware bytes etc) I used previously? Loath to try anything else yet as I don't want to screw up the system.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Loath to try anything else yet as I don't want to screw up the system
Boy do I understand that feeling.
I would also stay away from most third party security suites for a while, as well as some other third party utilities, just to be on the safe side for the time being.

When you're sure that your system is 100% then make a new disk image immediately, so you have a strong fall back position and then you can be a bit bolder with your experiments.

As far as defender and other AV / antimalware products, a lot of it is subjective. What someone likes.
Microsoft claims that comparisons showing their defender product lagging are inaccurate as Defender works with other native features within Windows 10 such as Smart Screen, to provide a more synergistic solution.
IDK.... sounds like marketing to me.

If I were going to go with a top line third party solution I would probably go with either something from Eset or Kaspersky.

Reaction score
I'll give it a week or two to settle, take some care which sites I visit (OH went to a baking site a while ago and caught a virus) then make an image and go from there. Thanks for your help.

Ask a Question