SOLVED Search box/Cortano don't exist or work -- and never have for me in Windows 0

Reaction score
Windows updated my computer to Windows 10 one night -- overnight -- when I had not given authorization. I just accepted it, even though the search box that I had used all the time in my previous version didn't work. I couldn't type anything in it. I put on my big-girl britches and moved on.

It was only when my husband upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday that I could see what I was missing: an active search box and Cortana. Frankly, I can do without Cortana but I want my active search box back!

I've searched multiple forums on the topic and tried multiple solutions that have worked for others, but nothing has worked for me. Obviously, because this happened months ago, I have restarted my computer dozens of times.

Clicking in the "search the web and Windows" box on my task bar does the same thing as clicking on a blank spot on this forum page: Nothing.

Any guidance/suggestions would be much appreciated! TIA.

Reaction score
I just found another forum where someone shared that Dropbox sometimes created this issue. I uninstalled my Dropbox, restarted my computer and -- yeah!! -- I can now use my search box (and use Cortana, if desired).

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for updating us with your experience. Glad to hear that you've made some progress.
I've seen and heard the same info regarding DropBox, but it always seemed anecdotal at best.... sort of like, if you just uninstalled something, then that would remedy the issue.
Make sure you double check both Windows Updates (manually) as well as the "Store" for any available or pending updates, and then......
In the interest of moving beyond being anecdotal, try re-installing DropBox and see if that breaks Cortana / Search again.

Reaction score
I have reinstalled DropBox and all is (still) well with Windows 10 and the search box. (knock on wood...)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for the follow-up.
Interesting..... it would seem almost like the function of uninstalling something (in your case DropBox) knocked something loose and remedied the issue.
AND
Then, re-installing "whatever" did not then cause the issue to return.

Reaction score
It is odd. I haven't restarted it since re-installing Dropbox. I hope that won't make any difference. We'll see....

Reaction score
Start menu --> Search --> Right Click, More, App Settings --> Click "Reset"
Thats it, worked for me perfectly

Ask a Question