Shutting down instead of sleeping

Reaction score
I have checked out my bios, and it is pretty uptodate - Aug 2015, there is a Sept version on the ASUS site, but before I start fiddling with it, I will hold out for a response from ASUS, as I am a bit of a amatuer, so don't want to risk blindly following instructions I don't really understand - I will post as soon as I get a response and let you guys know

Reaction score
this is the response from ASUS:

Concerning your message about the G551JW:

Im sorry to hear that you are having this issue. In this case what I can recommend is that you make an update of the following driver. First to update the Chipset driver, then to install the Intel Management Engine Interface which can be found in the Others section, then to update the ATK driver. And after the driver updates to check if the issue persists. You can find the drivers and utilities for your device at this link:

http://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-G551JW/HelpDesk_Download/

Should the issue persist, then what I can recommend is that you do a reset of the operating system. To reset the operating system, you need to first shut down the device, then when its booting up to repeatedly press the F9 key, this should take you to a menu where you can select Troubleshoot, and from here you should get a menu where you can select Reset or Resfresh of teh operating sytem.

Please be aware that Reset will erase all the other partition and your personal data, Refresh will only reset the Windows partition but it will delete and erase some programs and applications.

Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to get back in touch with us.

Regards,
Matthew

ASUS Technical Support

Reaction score
This maybe worth a try. I have a suspicion that the hibernate feature may be interfering with the sleep mode(??)

Try these two
1. Switch off the hibernate feature. Open a Command prompt (Admin) and copy and paste:

powercfg -h off Press ENTER

If you want to enable it again:

powercfg -h on and press Enter.

Also, in the power options, have the HD to never turn off.

Reaction score

Im sorry to hear that you are having this issue. In this case what I can recommend is that you make an update of the following driver. First to update the Chipset driver, then to install the Intel Management Engine Interface which can be found in the Others section, then to update the ATK driver. And after the driver updates to check if the issue persists. You can find the drivers and utilities for your device at this link:

Should the issue persist, then what I can recommend is that you do a reset of the operating system. To reset the operating system, you need to first shut down the device, then when its booting up to repeatedly press the F9 key, this should take you to a menu where you can select Troubleshoot, and from here you should get a menu where you can select Reset or Resfresh of teh operating sytem.

Please be aware that Reset will erase all the other partition and your personal data, Refresh will only reset the Windows partition but it will delete and erase some programs and applications.

Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to get back in touch with us.

Regards,
Matthew

ASUS Technical Support

I have the same problem here with my G551JW also, on win 10. I just tried this method but it still doesn't work

Reaction score
This maybe worth a try. I have a suspicion that the hibernate feature may be interfering with the sleep mode(??)

Try these two
1. Switch off the hibernate feature. Open a Command prompt (Admin) and copy and paste:

powercfg -h off Press ENTER

If you want to enable it again:

powercfg -h on and press Enter.

Also, in the power options, have the HD to never turn off.

Also tried it, it doesn't work either

Reaction score

Regards,
Matthew

ASUS Technical Support

Did this work for you, I am having the same problem since last 2 days on my Asus UX31LA. I hate doing installing it all over again.

Reaction score
Did you find any workable solution?

Have an Asus UX301LA myself. Still facing the same issue so looking eagerly for a solution too. It almost feels like I'm back to using Windows 95 (where I had to shut it down manually). I'm desperately trying to avoid a reset as well (it has so much dev software + custom licenses installed I'd lose weeks!)

Reaction score
so installed the new drivers, no change - very frustrating. Also not keen to do a reset / refresh as I couldn't bear setting up the custom apps again...

Reaction score
so installed the new drivers, no change - very frustrating. Also not keen to do a reset / refresh as I couldn't bear setting up the custom apps again...

Definitely in the same boat. Re-installing the entire system from scratch is simply not something I have time for either. It seems this is predominant with Asus yes ?

Reaction score
seems this is "unsolvable"... a few closing comments, I tried everything from changing power save in BIOS to the powercfg - h off in CMD prompt, my BIOS is the lastest, the drivers are the latest.

If I close the lid, I can "wake"the machine up with any key, but what I find odd is that if I choose that key to be F2 and hold it, it is like a normal start-up, in that it boots in BIOS mode - so to me that means it is a definite boot up - so the machine was off, and it closed all apps and docs, BUT, not completely off because it "woke" up?

Also, unlike shut down, when the machine says "shutting down" it does not say this, it just goes black, closes all your porgrammes and docs, and that's it

All I would suggest (for ASUS users) is bug the daylights out of ASUS for a solution, it is nonsense that they can't trouble shoot it, and just suggest a re-install... which I may do if I knew it would actually work..

Annoying for an expensive laptop...

Reaction score
seems this is "unsolvable"... a few closing comments, I tried everything from changing power save in BIOS to the powercfg - h off in CMD prompt, my BIOS is the lastest, the drivers are the latest.

If I close the lid, I can "wake"the machine up with any key, but what I find odd is that if I choose that key to be F2 and hold it, it is like a normal start-up, in that it boots in BIOS mode - so to me that means it is a definite boot up - so the machine was off, and it closed all apps and docs, BUT, not completely off because it "woke" up?

Also, unlike shut down, when the machine says "shutting down" it does not say this, it just goes black, closes all your porgrammes and docs, and that's it

All I would suggest (for ASUS users) is bug the daylights out of ASUS for a solution, it is nonsense that they can't trouble shoot it, and just suggest a re-install... which I may do if I knew it would actually work..

Annoying for an expensive laptop...

I actually tried reinstalling the Windows 10 OS because this was annoying me to no end that the laptop would not resume from sleep. It would just normal boot.

But new installation with no drivers installed did not do anything. It still does the same thing. I am not sure if this is a problem with windows 10 overall or my laptop in particular.

My next step is to install windows 8.1 or an earlier version of windows 10 and check. Because this is simply unacceptable for a ultrabook.

Reaction score
I was finally able to solve this stupid problem. I had read in one of the other reddit forums, somebody reflashed the latest BIOS and it worked for them. And since I had ran out of all other options, I thought I would try that.

So, i used this guide http://www.ahowto.net/windows/downgrading-asus-notebook-bios/ to reflash the latest BIOS since my BIOS version was already up to date and the WINFLASH utility does not allow to flash the same BIOS.

After the flashing was done, I tried using the power button and the manual sleep option from the power menu and they both worked.

PHEW!! Good luck to you guys.

Reaction score
I was finally able to solve this stupid problem. I had read in one of the other reddit forums, somebody reflashed the latest BIOS and it worked for them. And since I had ran out of all other options, I thought I would try that.

So, i used this guide http://www.ahowto.net/windows/downgrading-asus-notebook-bios/ to reflash the latest BIOS since my BIOS version was already up to date and the WINFLASH utility does not allow to flash the same BIOS.

After the flashing was done, I tried using the power button and the manual sleep option from the power menu and they both worked.

If I could hand you a medal, I darn well would ! I just tried this and it *actually* worked !!

Thanks times a million !

Reaction score

OMG - @narsimhank you living legend! it works!!! thanks a million!

Reaction score

THANK YOU ! You the real MVP !
The guide didn't work exactly but I found a video on YouTube that complete it

Again thank you

Reaction score
Great!!! Glad it worked for you guys too. It really stumps me, that all of us ASUS users had this same problem at the same time...
Not sure if windows broke it or Asus BIOS firmware was set to get corrupted in DEC-15!! But who cares as long as it works and we can still use our Ultrabooks :)

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

It seems that I have been experiencing the same problem as you guys since early December :(. Since I'm a bit of an amateur when it comes to solving laptop issues, would you mind telling me if this solution is worth trying for me ?

I have an Asus Zenbook Pro ux501, that I bought in october 2015, with Windows 10 installed.
My BIOS version is "American Megatrends Inc. N501JW.210, 03/08/2015".
If I try this method which version should I use ?

Thank you a lot for your answers. As you see it's a brand new laptop so this problem is very frustating...

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

It seems that I have been experiencing the same problem as you guys since early December :(. Since I'm a bit of an amateur when it comes to solving laptop issues, would you mind telling me if this solution is worth trying for me ?

I have an Asus Zenbook Pro ux501, that I bought in october 2015, with Windows 10 installed.
My BIOS version is "American Megatrends Inc. N501JW.210, 03/08/2015".
If I try this method which version should I use ?

Thank you a lot for your answers. As you see it's a brand new laptop so this problem is very frustating...

Sorry for the late reply but yes - it's definitely worth giving it a swirl. You'd just need to find the latest BIOS and load it up (note you'll be replacing the BIOS).

This issue cropped up for me the last couple of days again but also fixed again using the same method - I have the feeling that Windows 10 is somehow goofing with the BIOS which naturally isn't cool.

Good luck!

Ask a Question