Stuck in Loop of "Couldn't complete updates"

Reaction score
Every day now for several weeks, on shutdown, "Update and shutdown", but on waking up, "We couldn't complete updates, undoing....." If I reboot to safe mode, all is well for only couple days, then the loop starts all over. Win10 64bit Ideas?.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Right click "Start" choose "Run" type "winver" hit enter or click OK.
Tell us which version of Windows 10 it says that you are running?
Check your update history. Which update is it that is failing.

Try the update diagnostic utility and see if it helps
http://aka.ms/diag_wu

Reaction score
Running Windows 10 64bit version 1607 (OS Build 14393.321)

Ran diag utility, 1st time found "Potential Windows Update Database error detected - not fixed." It did fix 3 other problems with security settings, service registration and Windows update components repaired.

2nd time found "Service registration is missing or corrupt- not fixed."

Just ran 2 consecutive clean restarts, followed by a clean shutdown/start. See what happens over next couple days. Looks good at this moment, many thanks.

Stay tuned.....

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You might try using Internet Explorer to go to the Microsoft Update Catalog and retrieve the standalone installer for the latest Cumulative Update
http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB3201845
Make sure you grab the correct one for your system architecture the 64 bit version is plainly marked (for x64 based systems) and of course you shouldn't need the one intended for the server version. The remaining one and considerably smaller is for a 32 bit version of Windows 10.

Reaction score
Running Windows 10 64bit version 1607 (OS Build 14393.321)

Ran diag utility, 1st time found "Potential Windows Update Database error detected - not fixed." It did fix 3 other problems with security settings, service registration and Windows update components repaired.

2nd time found "Service registration is missing or corrupt- not fixed."

Just ran 2 consecutive clean restarts, followed by a clean shutdown/start. See what happens over next couple days. Looks good at this moment, many thanks.

Stay tuned.....

2 days later, same aggravation returned. "We couldn't complete updates, undoing....." has returned. I will now try installing the cumulative update.

Reaction score
2 days later, same aggravation returned. "We couldn't complete updates, undoing....." has returned. I will now try installing the cumulative update.

This aggravating loop started up again almost immediately, still with me daily over past few months. However, yesterday, I decided time to clone my C: drive from one SSD drive to another SSD drive. To my surprise, the new iteration on a newer SSD drive instantly cleaned up. This aggravating "..can't complete updates..." loop has disappeared. Has me wondering if my 2 year old source SSD drive may be ending its useful life. The loop may never have had anything to do with Windows 10, but rather a failing SSD drive. Thoughts of others?

Ask a Question