SOLVED TEMP folder filling up with AppX files and canot be stopped

Reaction score
Yesterday I found my C: drive had suddenly filled up due to 80 GB appearing in C:\Window\TEMP. There were three types of files and about 13,000 of each of them.

AppXDeploymentServer_B1874DF3-7BCE-0006-9D58-88B1CE7BD401
AppxErrorReport_B1874DF3-7BCE-0007-FF72-88B1CE7BD401.txt
AppXPackaging_B1874DF3-7BCE-0007-FF72-88B1CE7BD401.evtx

Possibly connected with last night's WU to 1803 (OS Build 17134.407).

I deleted all of the files and they stopped.

But as I feared, after a reboot this morning they are being downloaded again at a rate of every second or so.

In Services I found AppX Deployment Service (AppXSVC):
"Provides infrastructure support for deploying Store applications. This service is started on demand and if disabled Store applications will not be deployed to the system, and may not function properly."

It is enabled and set to Manual. But it cannot be stopped or disabled, at least without deleting some of its upstream dependencies, which I'm not going to attempt:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3argca7843sxfdt/Appx-1.jpg?raw=1

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix the issue without major side effects please?

Anyone else seeing similar behaviour please?

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Reaction score
Try this:

ANSWER
This is the solution.
BY PublicSpecific | JUNE 24, 2018 1:27 PM PDT
IN REPLY TO: TEMPORARY FILES ON WINDOWS 10 KEEP FILLING UP

Open Settings.
Click on Privacy.
Click on Background apps.
On the "Background apps" page use one of the two options:

Turn off the Let apps run in the background toggle switch to disable all apps acquired from the Store.

Grif Thomas FORUM MODERATOR | JUNE 25, 2018 3:59 PM PDT
IN REPLY TO: THIS IS THE SOLUTION.

Because disabling ALL apps from running in the background would cause some preferred applications to stop running. Instead, it would be better to turn off unneeded apps individually. And that should also prevent the temp files from building up.

And I have noticed on some Windows 10 computers, they tend to ignore those particular settings anyway. The applications will still run. It doesn't work perfect for all.

Hope this helps.

Above is from this link: https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/temporary-files-on-windows-10-keep-filling-up/

Reaction score
Thanks Garyw. Can't be 100% sure but I reckon that of the various steps I took that was the one that fixed it.

I disabled about 90% of the apps there, i.e. those I don't use or anticipate using.

Of course, another reboot might re-trigger the issue...

Reaction score
I don't know what is going on but I found a thread where an repair install was suggested and it worked.

If you have some reason for waiting so long to upgrade, other than just being cautious, please advise.

Not sure what you mean Saltgrass? I'm right up to date according to Settings > Windows Update.

If you haven't received all the updates for your new build, the problem may go away on its own.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...e-errror/ba19683c-109d-40c8-8591-c42015ad5ded

Seems fixed - see my reply to Garyw.

Reaction score
Try this:

ANSWER
This is the solution.
BY PublicSpecific | JUNE 24, 2018 1:27 PM PDT
IN REPLY TO: TEMPORARY FILES ON WINDOWS 10 KEEP FILLING UP

Open Settings.
Click on Privacy.
Click on Background apps.
On the "Background apps" page use one of the two options:

Turn off the Let apps run in the background toggle switch to disable all apps acquired from the Store.

Grif Thomas FORUM MODERATOR | JUNE 25, 2018 3:59 PM PDT
IN REPLY TO: THIS IS THE SOLUTION.

Because disabling ALL apps from running in the background would cause some preferred applications to stop running. Instead, it would be better to turn off unneeded apps individually. And that should also prevent the temp files from building up.

And I have noticed on some Windows 10 computers, they tend to ignore those particular settings anyway. The applications will still run. It doesn't work perfect for all.

Hope this helps.

Above is from this link: https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/temporary-files-on-windows-10-keep-filling-up/
this fixed it for me THX

Ask a Question