Unable to install Google Chrome on windows 10

Reaction score
I have made repeated attempts to download and install Google Chrome onto windows 10. I have tried multiple actions according to web sites. It downloads but when I try to access, I get an error message that says the web page cannot be found. I have been told that Firefox will not allow install due to incompatibility issue. I tried contacting Microsoft but cannot get through due to HIGH level of phone traffic. I am not able to get to answer desk for unknown reason. Is there anyway I can get past this incompatibility issue that according to Microsoft; "They are working on it". I want to make Google Chrome Default Browser.

Reaction score
Chrome and Firefox running on both my Windows 10 machines. Even the Canary build of Chrome runs fine.

Reaction score
You gotta get the free Chrome app for it to work right. No issues at all with Chrome for me.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I ran chrome for the first couple of weeks with windows 10, lots of issues, I finally gave up on it.

Reaction score
I have made repeated attempts to download and install Google Chrome onto windows 10. I have tried multiple actions according to web sites. It downloads but when I try to access, I get an error message that says the web page cannot be found. I have been told that Firefox will not allow install due to incompatibility issue. I tried contacting Microsoft but cannot get through due to HIGH level of phone traffic. I am not able to get to answer desk for unknown reason. Is there anyway I can get past this incompatibility issue that according to Microsoft; "They are working on it". I want to make Google Chrome Default Browser.
i went from using Google Chrome on 8.1 to it disappearing on 10. When i try to download it it gives me some weird message "installation failed due to unspecified error". i just spent the last 7.5 hours with 3 different MS techs who were remotely took over my computer only to have the last guy disconnected after he restarted my computer. I even tried going back to 8.1 and it still wouldn't download, Now my iPhone wont sync to iTunes AND i cannot update to the new iTunes smh. I am soooo irate. I really regret wasting my time downloading W10 and for spending 7.5 hours with tech "support"

Reaction score
At one point Chrome 64 bit had problems on W10 Insider versions and one had to run the 32 bit version.

Reaction score
I can not advise the thread originator on how to install Chrome but would offer my own experience. I first used the Chrome App downloaded from the Microsoft store and it worked fine until it mysteriously "disappeared" with error message "Class not registered". Then I did a search for it and it was still loaded and would work each time I selected it. Still, when I started Windows and clicked the icon which was pinned to the task bar, I would get the error message. Then I downloaded it again from the site mentioned by davehc above and it is operating flawlessly (so far).

Reaction score
I just typed chrome into google and from the website just downloaded the 32 bit version.

Reaction score
Your post says you are trying to download and install vie Firefox. Did you try via Internet Explorer?

Reaction score
On my Insider machines I installed FF and Chrome via Edge way back in early summer, forget which build. They survive through all the builds since and they have been updated via their own inbuilt upgrade system.

My 'production' machine has the official free W10 and that had Chrome and FF on it before the upgrade that they survive.

Reaction score
I had the exact same problem. Got the same error message.

After getting the free Windows 10 upgrade from 8.1 64-bit, Chrome was running slow. I uninstalled it and could not re-install it.

After many attempts, I finally uninstalled Chromecast App.

Problem solved. I was able install Chrome! I hope this helps.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums, Edric.

This is an old thread. I have no idea as to whether the posters were eventually successful.

I can only add that, since the original date of the thread, I have installed Chrome countless times on different machines. So far I have had no problems

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums, Edric.

This is an old thread. I have no idea as to whether the posters were eventually successful.

I can only add that, since the original date of the thread, I have installed Chrome countless times on different machines. So far I have had no problems

Obviously this is a "real" problem since multiple people have stated so. I offered my solution, uninstall Chromecast App, in hope to help others. Were your countless installations of Chrome on pc's where Win8.1 had the Chromecast App installed prior to the free Win10 upgrade?

Reaction score
Mostly on fresh installs, some on upgrades.
Since you post, I browsed and, whilst there were, indeed, many failed attempts, the various threads I looked at were never concluded, with a result.
One thing which was prevalent. On all my installs, it is my practice to immediately make IE my default browser. I believe this could be a problem with "Edge" security only.

Ask a Question