Unable to startup pc

Reaction score
I'm unable to boot the computer. An Automatic Repair screen runs, then a Diagnosing PC screen. The Repair/Diagnosis fails and I end up on a blue screen that says the problem couldn't be diagnosed and provides options to "Restart Computer" (which just leads into the same loop) or "Advanced Options." I hit "Advanced Options", then "Troubleshoot", then another "Advanced Options", then "Startup Settings" (on this screen there are also options for "Reset System", "Restore Previous Build" and others, all of which failed), then "Restart".

It routed back to the same blue screen "Your PC did not start correctly".

I don't have any startup disk. Do not have other pc to download software. How can I solve this problem?

When I tried to reset the PC, was prompted "There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made."

SOS........

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am in the same boat as Dorothy and need a solution!! I can get to the command prompt but need instruction as to what to do from there!! I am late paying my bills and the situation is critical!!! Please someone help us both!! Much appreciated and God Bless!!!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello to you both and welcome to the forum.
Depending on what exactly is producing the Blue Screen, there is probably no magic bullet to fix the issue.
Using Start Up Settings and booting the machine might help.... IF there is a driver issue producing the Blue Screen, you might have some luck attempting a Safe Mode boot with the minimal drivers that it uses.

Another thing you might try from the command prompt which has worked for me in the past, but......
I have no way of knowing if it would work for you.
bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuildbcd

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/927392

Since backing up all your critical data is paramount you might also be able to use the command prompt to copy off your profile folder onto an external resource.
OR
Perhaps using a Linux Live distro to boot your system you could use that to copy off your profile folder to an external resource as well.
I would recommend the Mint MATE version from here http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
If you're not sure about your system architecture (32 or 64 bit) the 32 bit version should work on either system architecture.

Reaction score
Had tried the following:-

Bootrec /FixMbr
The operation completed successfully.

Bootrec /Fixboot

Bootrec /RebuildBcd
Successfully scanned Windows installations.
Total identified Windows installations: 0

When I restart PC, it routed back to Preparing Automatic Repair, Diagnosing your PC then back to blue screen.

Your PC did not start correctly
Press *Restart* to restart your PC, which can sometimes fix the problem. You can also press *Advanced Options* to try other options to repair your PC.

Reaction score
If you can get into the Advanced Options, can you get to the Command Prompt or even another level of Advanced Options?

If you can get into the command prompt, try entering things like explorer.exe or msconfig.exe or taskmgr.exe. If you can, as Trouble mentioned, boot into Safe Mode you could probably repair a driver problem.

It has been a while since I dealt with the Recovery Options, but maybe something in one of those areas would help.

If you are getting a blue screen, probably a driver issue. Also, if you have any external devices or memory cards/usb drives, remove whatever you can.

Reaction score
If there is a place to start a program, try typing msconfig.exe and see it if will run. If it does, you should be able to set the system to start in Safe Mode so you can check or remove a driver.

I seem to remember explorer.exe starting up in the command prompt. but you may be in a different location than I was.

The Blue Screen is the problem, and just to make sure we are talking about a BSOD and not just a blue screen with information?

Starting several times might eventually get you out of the problem. If you have started more than three times in a row, check one of the other options in the troubleshooting/advanced/startup or whatever else you can find. You might even try canceling the process to see if it is actually fixed since I have seen that happen.

Ask a Question