Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Speaking of gadjets

Windows 10 still has Windows sidebar files in
Code:
%localappdata%\Microsoft

Slackers ;)

Reaction score
I , very alone!, am using Edge quite a lot. I see few problems with it, as a Lightweight browser. It certainly uses less resources than Chrome, which is very similar.
One problem is how to deal with Favorites.
I use this nifty little prog, which does the trick very easily.
Here is the principal link, which includes a complete tutorial

http://www.emmet-gray.com/Articles/EdgeManage.html

I have always felt that the indexing/Search even since earlier OSs, is clumsy. I appreciate that many are now using Cortana, but, my preference for speed, is Everything. You will be astonished at the speed with which it can trace items, and the facility to take you straight to the explorer entry.

https://www.voidtools.com/

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Offtopic comment:

Is it ironic that Microsoft called their browser Edge, given that some users may actually be on the literal Edge ready to plummet into oblivion because of Windows 10?

Reaction score
Is Windows 10 giving you problems? Bad publicity around the web, mostly connected to a herd instinct, but I think it is A ok.

Reaction score
Once again, meaningless. As a 82 year old Brit, I am well acquainted with "Bangers and Mash", just could not get the association with the thread content.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
@davehc I did start by saying it was offtopic, you replied to me presumingly, I replied to you, so its all offtopic imo.

Apologies for any confusion caused.

This reply is also offtopic. :)

VulcanHand.GIF
Live Long and Prosper.

Reaction score
Looks interesting, denis. I am wary of comprehensive cleaners. Have you tried it?

Reaction score
There have been an awful lot of updates and changes to Windows since the last post on this thread. Any chance someone could provide an updated list of utilities and whatnot?

Reaction score
That request covers a lot of territory but I usually start at www.majorgeeks.com. There's several sites one can download from but have to be careful something like advertising hasn't been added, usually better to go to the publisher's site.

Reaction score
There's one of several software updaters called Patch My PC:

which also contains lists of programs that may be updated but aren't necessarily installed in the PC. Right-clicking on each software entry found in the left window opens the software description page.

The list doesn't have everything available, but I've been using the ff.

Browser: Firefox

Multimedia: Audacity (for editing MP3s), Foobar (for syncing with an iPod), MediaMonkey (for organizing some media), MPC-BE (for playing videos and audio), MediaInfo (for ID'ing media), MP3Tag (for tagging and renaming media), PotPlayer (for playing .TS files)

File Archivers: 7-Zip

Utilities: Open-Shell (to make Win 10 look like Win 7; replaces Classic Shell), Everything, Process Crasher, WhoCrashed, WinAero Tweaker, WinUAE,

Hardware Tools: CrystalDiskInfo, DiskCheckup, MSI Afterburner

Documents: Calibre, SumatraPDF

Media Tools: AVIDemux, Exact Audio Copy (to rip CDs), Handbrake, Imgburn, MKVToolNix GUI, OBS Studio, XMedia Recode

Messaging: TeamSpeak, Viber

Developer: Putty, WinSCP

Sharing: Backup and Sync

Security: Keepass, MalwareBytes (run as a secondary scanner)

Miscellaneous: Google Earth Pro, Worldwide Telescope

Gaming: GOG Galaxy, Origin, Steam, Ubisoft (free games given regularly, which can be added to the library without installing)

Finally, there are also other software updaters to consider.

Ask a Question