What is a system image?

Reaction score
Sorry to show my ignorance. I’m going to change drives for my backup. Does a system image include all my programs? My laptop has suddenly slowed and is discharging the battery even though it’s plugged in and I’m worried it’s going to crash. It did this about 6 months ago and suddenly started working on it’s own. I’ve been running file backup, but I can’t find any program files.

Reaction score
it depends on which image program are you using?? if you use the one build-in Windows 10, forget it. That image program is a remnant from Windows 7 and has, to my knowledge, never worked satisfactory.
There are free versions available like "Macrium reflect" or "True Image" (if you have a Western Digital/Sandisk drive).

Reaction score
Change the inbuilt drive if it is not already an SSD.
I use Macrium for backup and recommend it.

Samsung have a free disk cloning program if you use one of their drives as the target. I have recently 'cured' 3 slow laptops by replacing the oem 500Gb/1Tb spinners with a Samsung SSD. Made a huge difference to the machines and Samsung EVO SATA 2.5 inch SSD drives are well priced.

I have done HP, Lenovo and ACER. The trick is to
Find a Youtube that shows the sequence to get at the drive and while you are in there clean out the colling fan with a can of air or a vacuum cleaner smallest nozzle if you can but be careful

Last edited:
Reaction score

Samsung have a free disk cloning program if you use one of their drives as the target. I have recently 'cured' 3 slow laptops by replacing the oem 500Gb/1Tb spinners with a Samsung SSD. Made a huge difference to the machines and Samsung EVO SATA 2.5 inch SSD drives are well priced.

Find a Youtube that shows the sequence to get at the drive and while you are in there clean out the colling fan with a can of air or a vacuum cleaner smallest nozzle if you can but be careful
Sorry to show my ignorance. I’m going to change drives for my backup. Does a system image include all my programs? My laptop has suddenly slowed and is discharging the battery even though it’s plugged in and I’m worried it’s going to crash. It did this about 6 months ago and suddenly started working on it’s own. I’ve been running file backup, but I can’t find any program files.
I replaced the battery in my 11yo notebook years ago and got a bigger aftermarket one and it's great you might also have loose battery contacts or they may need cleaning if it runs down then fixes itself. You can also look and see if you have plenty of space left or not. There is a program that runs in windows that will run the battery down and slow your computer down I forget its name as I quaranteened it using defender --MpEvMsg.Dll, (Defender/virus and protection settings/windows security/Exclusions/MpEvMsg.Dll. Is where i put the file. its in windows somewhere on the c drive. find it and exclude it)

Reaction score

I replaced the battery in my 11yo notebook years ago and got a bigger aftermarket one and it's great you might also have loose battery contacts or they may need cleaning if it runs down then fixes itself. You can also look and see if you have plenty of space left or not. There is a program that runs in windows that will run the battery down and slow your computer down I forget its name as I quaranteened it using defender --MpEvMsg.Dll, (Defender/virus and protection settings/windows security/Exclusions/MpEvMsg.Dll. Is where i put the file. its in windows somewhere on the c drive. find it and exclude it)

Ask a Question