SOLVED Which Windows 10 processes can I stop safely?

Reaction score
Last night I watched my computer sit there and use 100mb of data doing absolutely nothing. That's 6 gig over the space of a month. It's Windows processes that are doing it but I have no idea which ones I can safely block. There are some that are obvious such as Xbox, but is there a definitive list of things that must run for Windows 10 to be able to run?

Reaction score
6 GB of data in a month is huge. I lost 3 GB Aug 25, 2 days after receiving the MS updates Aug 23.
I think it's MS stealing your data bandwidth by using your PC as a server for updates for other PCs on the internet. I actually observed them stealing my 3GB by monitoring the activity on my Ethernet connection in Task Manager when I noticed the LED's on my Modem going nuts with no programs or
updates running. Make sure you have the switch turned off " How updates are delivered" Updates from more than one place
Go into Settings > Windows Update > Advanced Options > "Choose how updates are delivered, turn the switch "OFF"

Reaction score
This is off. I also have Spybot Anti Beacon and ShutUp which have been fab at turning off telemetry. With Black Vipers list I hope I can get data transfer down to an absolute minimum.

Reaction score
Have you tried turning OFF "running background apps"?
Settings > Privacy > "Turn background apps OFF" Mine are all turned OFF I have absolutely no use for them.

Ask a Question