Windows Defender error code: 0x8007042B

Reaction score
I am a new user of Windows 10! When I look at task scheduler I see that the scan says "the process terminated unexpectedly. (0x8007042B) USER PC\User". However the banner or Home page says scan was successful and nothing found. Ran defender twice today once was the automatic and again I ran a manual. Both scans were Quick Scans.

What is the system trying to say?

Gary Lee

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Gary,

The particular error code you are seeing is essentially telling you that a scheduled maintenance scan (which would include Windows Defender by default as you have chosen to use this as your primary security application) was interrupted and thus the scan either did not begin, or halted part way through a scan.

The Maintenance Scans require an idle system state. If you happened to be using your computer at the time such a scan was scheduled or had started then the system state is now no longer idle, and thus the error is triggered.

Perhaps you have chosen to set up a scan in your startup options, or you actually created a new Scheduled Task. If you did then I'd recommend removing this as you are actually duplicating a scan that will automatically take place anyway. Duplication in this instance could cause Defender to attempt to scan twice which would create a non idle system state and cancel both scans - thus defeating any security gains.

It is sufficient to allow Windows to maintain itself through its standard Maintenance, and for you on occasion to run a manual scan yourself when you have time to sit back and let it do a complete scan. If you cancel a scan for some reason yourself, this too will trigger the same error code.

Another possibility is that you have a second antivirus security program installed, for example, AVG, Norton, Avast, McAfee, etcetera.

Any one of these will schedule their own System Idle scans, and if they happen to occur at the same time Windows Defender is doing its own System idle scan, you guessed it, Error 0x8007042B is triggered.

If this were the case for you I'd recommend choosing one or the other and disabling the one you choose not to use.

If you want to read more about this:

Regards,

Regedit32

Last edited:
Reaction score
Regedit32: Thanks for your reply. First I have just updated to Win 10. I have not made any changes to Defender. I have looked using Task Scheduler under TARGET and I do not see ann (ADD) tag to check or any format to enter my own scan date.

As best I can tell it has been running at 1:09pm (according to scheduler). Normally the computer is turned off at that time, but the boss(wife) could have been on. I ran a "stand" alone scan at 12:00am and it resulred in the same message. There may have been a start up program running in background.

I am perfictly content to let Defender schedule and run when it can, but I think it should go to EOJ. I have read on other posts that the new Defender does not have the scheduling options as before and that is fine by me. It might be nice to move it further into tthe night say 4:00pm.

I hope you can understand what I am trying to communicate sometimes at 75 the brain does not co-operate.

Gary

Reaction score
OK - I do have Malwarebytes that runs at 4:00AM for malware protection. I can tell you that I just ran a Defender Scan at 11;30 AM EDT with nothing running according to Task Manager and defender still shown not completing but the defender menu show scan ran. I have no clue what it is really doing.

I put malware on my system because the old 8.1 defender had never shown a malware, etc.

Thanks for you answer.

Gary

Reaction score
Hello: I am still unable to get Defender to run to EOJ. I sat and watched and it ran about 150,000 of 200,000 files, then showed me the final banner saying 149,999 files had been scanned with no errors! However, if you look at the Task Scheduler it says process terminated unexpectedly. (0X8007042B).

Nothing was running, maybe something was started, I do not know but if Microsoft is giving me the choice I will not choose Defender because I just don't trust.

If you are blaming the problem on Malware Bytes please say so and I will pull down the Thread.

Thank you,
Gary Lee

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I can tell you for sure the two virus protection programs are not running at the same time. The system is IDLE according to Task Manager! I had no problem with Malwarebytes and Win 8.1.

It might have been a good feature to allow the user to schedule when defender runs, do you think?

Have a great year.

Ask a Question